GENUKI Home page
Forden Montgomeryshire   Contents & Search Contents

 

 Worthen

"WORTHEN, a parish partly in the hundred of Cawrse, county Montgomery, but chiefly in the hundreds of Chirbury and Ford, county Salop, 12 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury, 11 from Welshpool, and 9 from Montgomery. The parish comprises the chapelries of Trelystan and Hope, the quarters of Bing-Weston, Bromblow, Upper Heath, and Worthin, and 15 other townships The village, which was formerly a market-town, under charter of Henry III., is situated on the road from Shrewsbury to Montgomery near the river Rea and the Stipperstones, a ridge of loose stones extending several miles towards Shrewsbury, and said to be the ancient boundary between England and Wales."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

The main parish page is in Shropshire

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Gazetteers

LEIGHTON, a township in that part of the parish of WORTHEN which is in the lower division of the hundred of CAWRSE, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 2 miles (S. E. by S.) from Welshpool, containing 213 inhabitants. The river Severn is crossed here by a wooden bridge, on the road from Churchstoke to Welshpool ; and Offa's Dyke passes nearly in a parallel line with that river through the township. This is one of several parishes and townships incorporated for the support of their poor in the house of industry at Forden,; the average annual assessment for this township is 81. 8. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

RHOSGOCH (RHOS-GOCH), a township forming a part of the chapelry of Wolston, in that part of the parish of WORTHEN which is in the lower division of the hundred of CAWRSE, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (E.) from Welshpool, containing 59 inhabitants. It forms a part of the Long Mountain, on the border of Shropshire, in which county the greater portion of the parish is situated. The poor are maintained by a separate assessment, the average annual expenditure amounting to 26. 14. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

TRELYSTAN (TRE-ELYSTAN), a township forming part of the chapelry of Wolston, or Weston-ny-End, in that part of the parish of WORTHEN which is in the lower division of the hundred of CAWRSE, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, 3 3/4, miles (S. E.) from Welshpool, containing 106 inhabitants. This township is situated nearly at the southern extremity of the Long Mountain, on the border of Shropshire, and, with the township of Rhosgoch, forms the entire chapelry of Weston-ny-End, which is attached to the rectory of Worthen, in Shropshire, in which county the principal part of the parish is included. It forms one of several parishes and townships which are incorporated, by an act of parliament, for the support of their poor in the house of industry at Forden, its average annual expenditure for this purpose amounting to 45. 5. (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

WOLSTON, or WESTON-NY-END, a chapelry in that part of the parish of WORTHEN which is in the lower division of the hundred of CAWRSE, county of MONTGOMERY, NORTH WALES, containing 165 inhabitants. This place is sometimes also called Stony-end, from its comprising a long and not very productive eminence, on the border of Shropshire. It is composed of the two townships of Trelystan and Rhosgoch. The chapel, which is situated at Trelystan, is dependent on the mother church of Worthen.

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Map of Montgomeryshire parishes on Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society's site - shows dioceses


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.
[Gareth Hicks 14 Oct 2011]

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.