We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"ABERYSTRUTH, (Aberystwith), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Abergavenny, in the county of Monmouth, 8 miles S.W. of Abergavenny. Tredegar is the post-town. Of the population, above 4,000 are employed in the Beaufort coal and iron works, and nearly 3,000 in those of Sirhowy and Ebbw Vale. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £265, in the diocese of Llandaff. The patron is the Earl of Abergavenny."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)


  • Abertillery and district history 2000 : from prehistoric times to the present day. Abertillery : Abertillery and District Museum Society, 2000. 106p.
  • Abertillery, Brynmawr, Nantyglo & Blaina: the official guide. [1970]. Cheltenham : Burrow, [1969] 16p.
  • Andrews, Gladys    Abertillery Museum            Gwent Local History vol 41 1976          Welsh Journals Online 
  • Costello, Con      Nantyglo and Blaina half a century ago         Gwent Local History vol 41 1976          Welsh Journals Online
  • Dunn, Bob. Aberystruth (Blaina) : burials 1829 to 1944. [Pontypool] : Gwent Family History Society, [1994] 82p.
  • Eckley, Simon. Abertillery, Aberbeeg and Llanhilleth. Stroud : Chalford Publishing, 1995. 159p. Archive Photographs.
  • Jones, Edmund. The History of Aberystruth. 1779.
  • Jones, Edmund. A geographical, historical, and religious account of the parish of Aberystruth: in the County of Monmouth. : To which are added memoirs of several persons of note, who lived in the said parish. Bridgend : D.Brown & Sons, 1988. Facsimile edition is limited to 500 copies. 160p.
  • Phillips, T M.     Some aspects of the historical development of Abertillery Urban District to 1958      Gwent Local History vol 41 1976          Welsh Journals Online   
  • Rogers, S           Old Memories of Abertillery            Gwent Local History vol 41 1976          Welsh Journals Online
  • Rowson, Trevor. Blaina, Nantyglo and Brynmawr. Stroud, Gloucestershire : Chalford, 1995. 128p.
  • Smith, Eric. Bethel Methodist Church, Beaufort, Ebbw Vale : a history celebrating 150 years 1851-2001. Cwmbran : Kerin Publishers, 2001. 53p.
  • The rose and the thorn : laughter and tears of people in Blaina. Blaina : Blaina Heritage Action Group, 1993.190p. Also Vol 2 in 1995.
  • Thomas, Keith. Old Abertillery in photographs. Barry : Stewart Williams, 1988. 114p.
  • Thomas, Keith            The Blue Pilgrims                Gwent Local History 78 1995  Welsh Journals Online
  • Thomas, Malcolm. Brynmawr, Beaufort and Blaina in photographs. Abertillery : Old Bakehouse, 1995. 128p.
  • Williams, J P D. Cofiant y diweddar Barch. Samuel Williams, Nantyglo. Llangollen : Argraffwyd gan W. Williams, 1877. 16p.

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by  I.G  Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.  Check with  Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches built after 1851.

PS  - These entries are as listed in the Return under Aberystruth Sub-District, Aberystruth Parish - so for Ebbw Vale, see below AND Bedwellty parish

Aberystruth parish statistics; Area 11,788 acres; Population 7994 males, 6389 females, total 14,383

  • St Peter's Church, commonly called Aberystruth or Blaen Gwent. -  Was a chapel of ease to Llanwenarth, the mother church.   Attendance - morning 126+52 scholars, aft 160, even 142. One Welsh, two in English.      Daniel Rees, Minister or Perpetual Curate.      (Erected 1827 - Lewis 1848)
  • Nantyglo School Room. - Licensed for Divine Service, possibly in 1837.   Erected by Messrs Bailey, props of the Nantyglo Ironworks.   Three services, one Welsh two in English.   David Morgan, Vicar.    (Church district formed in 1844 - Lewis 1848)
  • Beaufort Church. Licensed as additional church in 1841. Erected by private Benefaction. Attendance - morning 82+54 scholars, aft 68 scholars, even 90. Two services, one Welsh, one English.    William H James, Minister, Ebbw Vale. (Church district formed in 1846 - Lewis 1848)
  • Bethel, Aberystruth, Welsh Wes.Meth. -  Erected 1827.  Attendance - morning 174, evening  288.    William Roberts, Wesleyan Minister, Brynmawr, neasr Abergavenny.
  • Hermon Chapel, Particular Baptist. - Erected 1820, enlarged 1830, rebuilt 1850.  General congregation about 1000.   Samuel Williams, Minister, Nant y Glo
  • Salem, Cal. Meth (Welsh).  - Erected 1818, rebuilt 1833.   Attendance - afternoon 152+150 scholars, evening 80+70 scholars.   "In this district a great number of the men are employed in the manufacture of Iron and obliged to work on the Sabbath, and consequently unable to attend Public Worship."   W Williams, Secretary and deacon, Nantyglo.
  • Berea, Independent. - Erected 1841 (new chapel being built).   Attendance - morning 296+261 scholars, aft. 261 scholars, evening 380.  Meetings held occasionally at Abertillery.    Thomas Davies, Deacon, Miner, Berea, Nr Nant y Glo.
  • Blaenau Gwent, Baptist. - Erected 1715 (re-erected 1819).  Attendance - morning 155, aft. 114 scholars,  even 215.    John Lewis, Minister, Abertillery Tinworks near Newport.
  • Primitive Methodist Chapel, Cwmtilerey. -  Erected 1848.   Attendance - morning 66 scholars, aft 50, even 70.   Thomas Preese, Steward, Cwmtilery.
  • English Baptist Chapel. - Attendance - morning 80, aft 150 scholars, evening about 200.  Erected by Welsh Independents who sold it to build a larger chapel, rented lately by English Baptists. William Roberts, Baptist Minister, Blaena Works, Informant.
  • Salem Baptist Chapel. - Erected 1848.  Attendance - morning 60 scholars, then main service 300, afternoon 190 scholars, evening about 600. William Roberts, Baptist Minister, Blaena.
  • Primitive Methodist Chapel. - Erected 1848.  Building used form Public Worship, Sunday School and Day School.  Attendance - morning 50+23 scholars, even 90.       Llewellyn Walkley, Steward, Cwm Celyn and Blaena Ironworks.
  • Hope Chapel, Welsh Cal. Meth. - [Re]-Erected 1845.  Attendance - morning 56+150 scholars, even 40+118 scholars. First chapel was built in 1840, it was "undermined and fell". Edward Jones, Secretary, British School, Blaina.
  • Ebenezer Chapel, Cal Meth. - Erected 1851.  Attendance - morning 183 scholars, aft 420, even 420.   Informant; John Evans, Grocer, Ebbw Vale.
  • English Wes Meth Chapel, Blaina Ironworks - Erected 1844.   Attendance - morning 230+80 scholars, aft 150 scholars, even 450.   Informant; Thomas Hinton, Trustee and Steward, Blain Ironworks.
  • Latter Day Saints Tabernacle, Blaina Iron Works. - Erected 1849.  Attendance - morning 60+40 scholars, aft 60, even 80.  "Building used for Weekly School also". Informant; Thomas Parry, Mine Agent, Blaina.
  • Salem Baptist Chapel. -  Erected 1848 (in lieu of another built in 1835)    Attendance - morning 283, aft 170 scholars, even 498. ("Often have 750/800 on a Sunday evening")   William Roberts, Minister, Blaina Works
  • Moriah, Welsh Wesleyan. - Erected 1842.  Attendance - morning 35 scholars, aft 40, even 38.  "There are a few of our members who are not well and others which do live far off." William Thomas, Steward, New Wesleyan Chapel, Blaina Iron Works.
  • Ebenezer Chapel, Cal Meth, Ebbw Vale. - Erected 1850.  Attendance - aft 79+100 scholars, even 160+125 scholars.  "Many of the workmen are employed in the Iron Works and are obliged to work on the Sabbath."   John Evans, Elder, Grocer, New Town, Ebbw Vale.
  • Primitive Methodist Chapel, Newtown.  Congregation inc. Sunday scholars - morning 100, even 150.   Joseph Williams.
  • Salem, Aberystruth, English Particular Baptist. - Erected 1833.  Attendance - morning 30+20 scholars, aft 60 scholars, even 70.   "The English Cause was commenced in the old Welsh chapel Oct 1849".   William Hiley, Deacon, Grocer and draper, Blaina, nr Newport.
  • English Wesleyan Chapel, Nantyglo. - Erected 1823.   Attendance - morning 200, even 180.    James Emery, Wesleyan Minister, Brynmawr.
  • Zion, Ebbw Vale, parish of Aberystrith district ("of Tredegar as far as I know") - Erected 1847. Attendance - morning no service, aft 70+27 scholars, even 100+14 scholars.    Geo Price, Primitive Methodist Minister.

Church Records

See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records

  • This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit. Added 31 Jul 2006.
    Aberystruth, St Peter's Church - records with the NLW
    Baptisms Marriages Burials
    1736-1838 1736-1836 1736-1829
    Bishops Transcripts 1696, 1725-99, 1801-59 - records with the NLW
    (see also Cendl/Beaufort & Nant-y-glo)
    Abertyleri / Abertillery, St Michael's Church (formed from Aberystruth 1854) - records with the Gwent RO
    Baptisms Marriages Banns
    1855-1934 1854-1970 1854-1967
    Nant-Y-Glo, Holy Trinity Church (formed from Aberystruth 1844) - records with the incumbent
    Baptisms Marriages
    1844+ 1855+
    Bishops Transcripts 1844-55, 1857-63 - records with the NLW
    [Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Aberystruth which are provided by:


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Aberystruth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


  • Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.  Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO220071 (Lat/Lon: 51.757093, -3.131507), Aberystruth which are provided by: