We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

BASSALEG, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BASSALEG, a parish in the upper and lower divisions of the hundred of Wentllooge, in the county of Monmouth, 3 miles to the W. of Newport. It is situated on the river Ebw, and contains the hamlets of Duffryn, Craig, and Rogerstope. It is a station on the Western Valleys branch of the Monmouthshire railway. The Monmouthshire canal passes through the parish.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff, of the value of £447, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Basil. The Baptists have a chapel here. There is an endowed free school with an income of £20 per annum. A priory was founded here by Robert de Haye before the 12th century, as a cell to Glastonbury abbey; but it is said to have become extinct long before the Dissolution. There are remains of two ancient encampments in the neighbourhood."

"DUFFRYN, a hamlet in the parish of Bassaleg, upper division of the hundred of Wentllooge, in the county of Monmouth, 3 miles S.W. of Newport."

"GRAIG, a hamlet in the parish of Bassaleg, lower division of the hundred of Wentllooge, county Monmouth, 2 miles S.W. of Newport. At Graig Hill is a meet for the Monmouthshire hounds. The principal residence is The Graig."

"ROGERSTONE, a hamlet in the parish of Bassaleg, upper division of Wentllooge hundred, county Monmouth, 2½ miles W. of Newport."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]