|Where is it
"BASSALEG, a parish in the upper and lower divisions of the hundred of Wentllooge, in the county of Monmouth, 3 miles to the W. of Newport. It is situated on the river Ebw, and contains the hamlets of Duffryn, Craig, and Rogerstope. It is a station on the Western Valleys branch of the Monmouthshire railway. The Monmouthshire canal passes through the parish.
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff, of the value of £447, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Basil. The Baptists have a chapel here. There is an endowed free school with an income of £20 per annum. A priory was founded here by Robert de Haye before the 12th century, as a cell to Glastonbury abbey; but it is said to have become extinct long before the Dissolution. There are remains of two ancient encampments in the neighbourhood."
"DUFFRYN, a hamlet in the parish of Bassaleg, upper division of the hundred of Wentllooge, in the county of Monmouth, 3 miles S.W. of Newport."
"GRAIG, a hamlet in the parish of Bassaleg, lower division of the hundred of Wentllooge, county Monmouth, 2 miles S.W. of Newport. At Graig Hill is a meet for the Monmouthshire hounds. The principal residence is The Graig."
"ROGERSTONE, a hamlet in the parish of Bassaleg, upper division of Wentllooge hundred, county Monmouth, 2½ miles W. of Newport."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
(Last updated - Gareth Hicks - 17 Feb 2009)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date