We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"BEDWAS, a parish chiefly in the lower division of the hundred of Wentllooge, in the county of Monmouth, and partly in the hundred of Caerphilly, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 2 miles to the N. of Caerphilly. It is situated on the banks of the river Rumney, and contains the hamlets of Upper and Lower Bedwas (in Monmouthshire), and Van (in Glamorganshire). The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff, value, with the curacy of Ruddry annexed to it, £450, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Barrog."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Bedwas School 1885-1985. Bedwas, Nr. Caerphilly] : [Bedwas Junior School], 1985. 80p.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches built after 1851.
Bedwas parish consisting of the hamlets of Lower Bedwas & Upper Bedwas. Also Van hamlet (no entries) which is included in the Return under Cardiff district.
Bedwas parish statistics; Area 4207 acres. Population 480 males, 444 females, total 924 (exc Van hamlet)
- Lower Bedwas hamlet.
- Bedwas Parish Church - Attendance - Morning 30, afternoon 33 ("There has been no Sunday School during the last two months for the want of a teacher, if the said church has been erected in a more central part of the parish it would have been better attended") 1 service in Welsh taken by the curate (who resides in the Glebe-house) Watkin Watkins, Rector (Rectory with the living of Ruddrey annexed - Lewis 1848)
- Hephzibah, Baptist. - Erected 1840. Attendance - morning 80, afternoon 59 scholars, evening 149. Owen E Jones, Pastor, Bedwas
- Tabor, Independent - Erected 1829 Attendance - morning 120, afternoon 95 scholars, evening 260 John Morgan Thomas, Minister, Blackwood
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Bedwas, St Barrog's Church - records with the Gwent RO
||1717, 1725-64, 1766-75, 1777-1811, 1813-88 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Bedwas which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Bedwas has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST171891 (Lat/Lon: 51.594579, -3.198206), Bedwas which are provided by: