|Where is it
"BEDWELLTY, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Wentllooge, in the county of Monmouth, 7 miles to the W. of Pont-y-pool. Newport is its post town. It is situated in a hilly district between the river Rumney, on the W., and the Sirhowey on the E., and contains the chapelries of Rhymney and Tredegar, the latter being now a market town, and the hamlets of Ishlawrcoed, Mamhole, and Uwchlawreoed. The district is rich in iron and coal, and is the seat of an extensive iron manufacture, giving employment to above 1,300 hands. Between 3,000 and 4,000 persons are engaged in the great ironworks and collieries in the vicinity.
The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £180, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, situated on a hill commanding a fine prospect over the surrounding hills and wooded valleys, is in the early English style of architecture, and is dedicated to St. Sannan. In addition to the parish church there is a beautiful new church at Ebbw Vale, recently erected by A. Darby, Esq. Bedwellty is the seat of a Poor-law Union. Polling for the elections takes place at the Rock Inn, in this parish."
"ISHLAWRCOED, a hamlet in the parish of Bedwellty, lower division of the hundred of Wentllooge, county Monmouth, 7 miles W. of Pont-y-Pool. It is situated between the rivers Rumney and Sirhowey, in the midst of a rich mineral district abounding in ironstone and coal, which are extensively worked."
"MAMHOLE, (or Manmoel), a hamlet in the parish of Bedwellty, lower division of the hundred of Wentllooge, county Monmouth, 7 miles N.W. of Pont-y-pool. It is situated near the Monmouth canal, between the rivers Rumney and Sirhowey. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the coal and iron works which are extensively carried on. The district is very populous."
"TREDEGAR, a market town in the township of Ushlawrcoed, parish of Bedwellty, county Monmouth, 10 miles S.W. of Abergavenny. It has stations on the Abergavenny branch of the London and North-Western and Sirhowy Vale railways. It has grown up since the commencement of the present century, in consequence of the extensive iron works established in the vicinity by the Homfrays of Bedwelty House, now the property of the Tredegar Iron Company.
The population in 1861 was above 9,380. The town consists chiefly of a central square, from which diverge four principal streets. It contains a townhall, market-house, branch bank, &c. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the neighbouring collieries and iron mines, and in the blast houses belonging to the Tredegar Iron Company. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, and in the patronage of the Incumbent of Bedwelty."
"USHLAWRCOED, a hamlet in the parish of Bedwellty, lower division of Wentlooge hundred, county Monmouth, 7 miles W. of Pontypool, and 8 from Tredegar."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
(Last updated - Gareth Hicks - 17 Feb 2009)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date