Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
A Monmouthshire Bibliography
Books of General Interest for Family Historians
- Wiles, Eric. Publications of the Caerleon Antiquarian Association, later Monmouthshire and Caerleon Antiquarian Association, now Monmouthshire Antiquarian Association. Monmouthshire Antiquary 13 (1997), p.59-66.
- Armstrong, Elizabeth James Endell Tyler, 1789-1851, Part 1 Gwent Local History vol 72 1992 Welsh Journals Online & Part 2 Gwent Local History 73 1992 Welsh Journals Online & Part 3 Gwent Local History 74 1993 Welsh Journals Online
- Davies, Marie Famous People of Gwent: Anne Mansell MBE (nee Williams) of Tredegar Gwent Local History vol 56 1984 Welsh Journals Online
- Jones, Alan The 'Squire of Maindiff': Crawshay Bailey, Junior, Landowner and Benefactor Gwent Local History. No. 98 2005 Welsh Journals Online
- Jones, Gwenllian V. John Edward Lee : a Monmouthshire antiquary. Monmouthshire Antiquary 13 (1997), p.5-12.
- Lewis, Harry Sir Joseph Bradney: some miscellaneous notes Gwent Local History vol 85 1998 Welsh Journals Online
- Lewis, Harry Morgan John Lewis: an eighteenth century Welsh evangelist Gwent Local History vol 87 1999 Welsh Journals Online
- Lewis, Peter Walter Powell, MP (1842-1881) and the balloon Saladin Gwent Local History. No. 91 2001 Welsh Journals Online
- Robinson, Owen. Myfanwy Haycock: a biographical note Gwent Local History 75 1993 Welsh Journals Online
- Twiston-Davies, Suzanne Famous People of Gwent - Senator James J Davis, the Iron Puddler Gwent Local History vol 52 1982 Welsh Journals Online & W H Davies, Super-Tramp Gwent Local History vol 56 1984 Welsh Journals Online
- Davies, Ebenezer T. An ecclesiastical history of Monmouthshire. Risca, Monmouthshire : Starsons, 1953.
- Evans, J Daryll Kitchin's Return, 1563 Gwent Local History 67 1989 Welsh Journals Online & Gwent Local History 69 1990 Welsh Journals Online
- Evans, J Daryll Clergy of the Old Gwent Parishes Gwent Local History 71 1991 Welsh Journals Online
- Gray, Madeleine. The last days of the chantries and shrines of Monmouthshire. Journal of the Welsh Ecclesiastical History 8 (1991), p.20-40.
- Gray, Madeleine. The Clergy as remembrancers of the community : Lewis James, curate of Bedwellty 1633-1667, and the Civil War clergy of Monmouthshire. Monmouthshire Antiquary 16 (2000), p.113-20.
- Johns, W N. Historical traditions and facts relating to the County of Monmouth / Part 6: The church during the puritan period. In; Johns, W. N. Historical traditions and facts relating to ancient Gwent or Siluria. Part 1: Prehistoric and Roman periods. 2nd ed. enlarged. Newport, Mon. : W.N. Johns, 1885. 77p.
- Jones, J Gwynfor William Morgan, Translator of the Bible and Bishop of Llandaff Gwent Local History 66 1989 Welsh Journals Online
- Williams, David H. Ecclesiastical problems in Monmouthshire. Monmouthshire Antiquary 15 (1999), p.54-5.
- Wright, Arthur. The church bells of Monmouthshire : their inscriptions and founders, with a chapter upon the Chepstow foundry. Cardiff : William Lewis (printers) ltd., 1942. 134p.
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- Ifans, Dafydd [ed]. Cofrestri Anghydfurol Cymru/ Nonconformist Registers of Wales. Aberystwyth, 1994. This book includes Ordnance Survey references for listed chapels.
- Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Cardiff, 1976.
- MacDonald, R W. The Parish Registers of Wales, National Library of Wales journal. 1976, Winter. Volume XIX/4.
- Williams, C.J. and Watts-Williams, J. Cofrestri Plwyf Cymru: Parish Registers of Wales (National Index of Parish Registers, Vol. 13). Aberystwyth: National Library of Wales, Second edition,2000. This book has been used as a source of data of parish records and bishop's transcripts on the Genuki parish pages.
A pocket guide through Monmouthshire...also, directions for travellers making the tour of South Wales... 2nd ed. Usk : James Henry Clark, 1839. 104p.
- Bissell, A F. In the steps of John Ogilby : some old roads of Monmouthshire and Brecknockshire. Abergavenny : Derek Bissell, 2001. Traces the routes surveyed by John Ogilby and mapped in his Britannia atlas of 1675 and includes plates reproduced from that work.
- Bissell, Derek Some seventeenth century roads in Gwent; John Ogilby's brittania, 1775 Gwent Local History vol 99 2005 Welsh Journals Online
Black's guide to the counties of Hereford & Monmouth, described in alphabetical order. 8th ed. Edinburgh : Adam & Charles Black, 1886. 174p.
- Caux, Harry de. Monmouthshire : Gwent : a sketchbook. [Newport] : [Starling Press] [199-?] 68p.
- Cooke, George, A. Topographical and statistical description of the county of Monmouth. London : Printed for C. Cooke, [18--]
- Cornish, Anthony. Monmouthshire. Salisbury : Frith, 2002. 128p.
- Coxe, William. An historical tour in Monmouthshire. New ed. Cardiff : Merton Priory Press, 1995. 433 p (Originally; An historical tour in Monmouthshire : illustrated with views by Sir R.C. Hoare, Bart. a new map of the county, and other engravings. London : Printed for T. Cadell, Jun. and W. Davies, 1801. Luke Hansard, printer, )
- Evans, Herbert A. Monmouthshire. Cambridge, University press, 1915. 183p
- Hando, Fred J. Monmouthshire sketch book : by Fred J. Hando. Newport : R. H. Johns, 1954. 81p
- Haynes, Kenneth. Here and there on the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal : a sketch book. Risca : Ken Haynes, 1988. 72p
- Heath, Charles. Historical sketches of Monmouthshire. 18??. 56p.
Hidden treasures : Monmouthshire. Peterborough : Young Writers, 2002. 219p
- Jones, Adolphe G. Half hours in Monmouthshire : dealing with the historical, geographical, industrial and antiquarian features of the county ... Newport, Mon. : J. E. Southall, 1906. 180p
- Lambert, William. The beauties of Monmouthshire. Chepstow : W. Lambert, pr., [c.1812] 277p
Monmouthshire - articles about various parishes in Monmouthshire by Sir Joseph Alfred Bradney. Edited by M Gray. (journals/articles on NLW's site) South Wales Record Society vol 8 1993
- Noel, Philip Rymer The river Gwent Local History. No. 93 2002 Welsh Journals Online
- Phillips, Roger From London to St Mellons in 1809 Gwent Local History vol 64 1988 Welsh Journals Online
- Pinnock, William. The history and topography of the County of Monmouth : with biographical sketches, &c. and a neat map of the County. London : [Davidson, pr.], . 70p
- Searle, Elsa J. The rivers of Monmouthshire : a geomorphological study. Llandybie : C. Davies, 1970. 158p
- Wade, George W. Monmouthshire, : With 32 illustrations, four plans, and four maps. London : Methuen & co, [1909?] 275p
- Warren, Graham J. Monmouthshire : English or Welsh? Gwent Family History Society Journal. 60 (2000), p.17-19
- Wyndham, Henry P. A gentleman's tour through Monmouthshire and Wales : in the months of June and July, 1774. A new edition : to which is added, an account of a journey into Wales, by George Lord Lyttleton. London : Printed for T. Evans, 1781. 246p
- Jones, Judy MA Monmouthshire Wills proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 1560-1601 Gwent Local History vol 72 1992 Welsh Journals Online
- Longstaff, B M. Monmouthshire families : memorandum concerning the ancestors and descendants of Sir Caradoc Fraich-Fras. Gwent Family History Society Journal 37 (1994), p.32-4.
- Pitman, Liz Some Monmouthshire Wills Gwent Local History. No. 91 2001 Welsh Journals Online
- Tenison, Richard Hanbury. The Hanburys of Monmouthshire. [S.l.] : Richard Hanbury Tenison, 1995. 383p.
- Allen, Richard & Simone Clark Dissertations and theses with Gwent interest 1887-1996 Gwent Local History 82 1997 Welsh Journals Online
- Bagnall-Oakley, M E. An account of some of the rude stone monuments and ancient burial mounds in Monmouthshire. Monmouthshire & Caerleon Antiquarian Association, 1889.
- Barber, Chris. Portraits of the past : the industrial heritage of old Monmouthshire. Abergavenny : Blorenge Books, 1996. 164p
- Bidder, Marie-Elaine The Scotch cattle in Monmouthshire c 1820-1825 Gwent Local History vol 63 1987 Welsh Journals Online
- Bradney, Joseph A. A history of Monmouthshire : from the coming of the Normans into Wales down to the present time. London] : Academy Books, 1991. 144p. Various vols/years.
- Children, George. A guide to prehistoric sites in Monmouthshire. Woonton, [Hereford] : Logaston Press, 1996. 128p.
- Clark, Arthur. The story of Monmouthshire. 2 ed. Monmouth : Monnow Press, 1980. 218p.
- Clark, John H. History of Monmouthshire. Usk : printed at the County Observer office, 1869. 400p.
- Clark, James H. Reminiscences of Monmouthshire. Usk : "County Observer" Printing Works, 1908. 197p.
- Clark, J H. Historical sketches of Monmouthshire, ancient mansions and the magnificent ruins of Raglan Castle. Usk : J.H. Clark, 1891? 24p.
- Davies, Ebenezer T. Bradney's History of Monmouthshire : an assessment. Abergavenny : Regional, 1986. 16p.
Gwent Local History is a twice-yearly English-language local history journal containing articles on historical topics, with references, book reviews, notes and news. Its issues are numbered to run on from its predecessor, Presenting Monmouthshire, starting at no. 41. See Welsh Journals Online. & Index 41-50 on Gwent Local History vol 51 1981 Welsh Journals Online & Index 71-80 Gwent Local History vol 81 1996 Welsh Journals Online & Index 81-90 Gwent Local History. No. 91 2001 Welsh Journals Online & Index 91-100 Gwent Local History vol 101 2006 Welsh Journals Online
- Hockey, Primrose The world we have lost Gwent Local History vol 43 1977 Welsh Journals Online
- Holden, Brock W. The making of the Middle March of Wales, 1066-1250 (NLW's site) Welsh History Review 20
- Hopkins, Tony. In search of Monmouthshire, 536-1972. Gwent Local History 70 1991 Welsh Journals Online & Gwent Local History 71 1991 Welsh Journals Online
- Howell, Ben. Law and disorder in Tudor Monmouthshire Cardiff 1995
- Howells, Adrian Owain Glyn Dwr and Gwent [et al] Gwent Local History. No. 95 2003 Welsh Journals Online
- Howells, Patrick Mathias Rhys Why did the only major outbreak of 'Physical Force' Chartism in Britain occur in south-east Wales in 1839 ? Gwent Local History 83 1997 Welsh Journals Online
- Hudson, Rodney Roman Coinage in Gwent Gwent Local History vol 51 1981 Welsh Journals Online
- Jenkins, Philip. A new source for the history of Monmouthshire in the eighteenth century. Monmouthshire Antiquary 4 (1980), p.46-9.
- Johns, W N. Historical traditions and facts relating to the County of Monmouth. Historical traditions and facts relating to ancient Gwent or Siluria. Part 1, Prehistoric and Roman periods. 2nd ed. enlarged. Newport, Mon. : W.N. Johns, 1885. 156p.
- Johns, W N. Historical traditions and facts relating to the County of Monmouth / Part 5,; Temp. Elizabeth to Charles I. Johns, W. N. Historical traditions and facts relating to ancient Gwent or Siluria. Part 1, Prehistoric and Roman periods. 2nd ed. enlarged. Newport, Mon. : W.N. Johns, 1885. 156p.
- Jones, Peter Morgan Myth and legend Gwent Local History. No. 93 2002 Welsh Journals Online
- Knight, Jeremy The Medieval Castle in Monmouthshire Gwent Local History vol 42 1977 Welsh Journals Online & part II Gwent Local History vol 43 1977 Welsh Journals Online
Lamentable newes out of Monmouthshire in Wales : contayning, the wonderfull and most fearefull accidents of the great ouerflowing of waters in the saide Countrye...in January last 1607. Llangibby : Albert A. Williams, 1913. Facsimile reprint of a tract printed for W.W. in London in 1607.
- Lovering, G W J. Some glimpses of seventeenth-century Monmouthshire. Gwent Local History 73 1992 Welsh Journals Online
- Lovering, G W J A view of the County, c 1850 Gwent Local History 79 1995 Welsh Journals Online
- Mitchell, Elizabeth H. The crosses of Monmouthshire. Newport : Printed for Caerleon and Monmouthshire Antiquarian Association by Mullock & Sons, 1893. 45p.
- Morris, Abraham. Handbook of the geography and history of Monmouthshire : adapted to the requirements of primary and secondary schools. Newport : A.W. Dawson, 1901 [i.e.1905] 104p.
- Oates, David W. The story of Gwent : a school history and geography of Monmouthshire. Cardiff : The Educational Publishing Co. Ltd, [19--?] 280p.
- Olding, Frank Gwent and the Arthurian Legend Gwent Local History vol 63 1987 Welsh Journals Online
- Phillips, Olive. Ancient kingdom of Gwent, Monmouthshire. 1st ed. London : Saint Catherine Press, 1947.
- Presenting Monmouthshire nos 31-40 [A summary index) Gwent Local History vol 41 1976 Welsh Journals Online
- Rattenbury, Gordon The Cwm Frwd Rail Road Gwent Local History vol 42 1977 Welsh Journals Online
- Rowlands, John. Collection of historical notes relating to Monmouthshire. Newport : printed by W. N. Johns, [18--?] 85p.
- Willett, Mark. A survey of the history, antiquities, and scenery, of Monmouthshire : with a glossary. Chepstow : Printed at the Cambrian Office,  398p.
- Colborne, Thomas. The Welsh Land Commission and report : a Monmouthshire protest Newport : Mullock & Sons , . 110p.
- Fox, Cyril Sir. Monmouthshire Houses : a study of building techniques and smaller house-plans in the fifteenth to seventeenth centuries. 2ed. Cardiff : Merton Priory Press : National Museum of Wales, c1994.
- Hodges, C An Indirect Method for Dating Drystone Walls Gwent Local History vol 87 1999 Welsh Journals Online
- Newman, John. Gwent/Monmouthshire. Buildings of Wales series. London : [Cardiff] : Penguin ; University of Wales Press, 2002. 662p.
- Powell, Christopher Endangered Species: Some Minimal Houses in East Gwent Gwent Local History vol 49 1980 Welsh Journals Online
- Probert, Wilfred J. Monmouthshire parishes and the Tithe Commutation Act, 1836 : a browse among some tithe rolls. Gwent Local History 73 1992 Welsh Journals Online
- Hopkins, Anthony. The earliest written English in Monmouthshire? : the Herbert bailiff's account. 1463. Monmouthshire Antiquary 11 (1995), p.87-97.
- Lewis, Harry. Monmouthshire and the Welsh language censuses, 1901-1971. Gwent Local History vol 48 1980 Welsh Journals Online
- Lewis, Harry A German War-Time Map of Monmouthshire Gwent Local History vol 64 1988 Welsh Journals Online
- Roderick, Alan The History of the Welsh Language in Gwent Gwent Local History vol 50 1981 Welsh Journals Online & part II Gwent Local History vol 51 1981 Welsh Journals Online
- Williams, Sian Rhiannon. The Welsh language in industrial Monmouthshire c.1800-1901. Language and community in the nineteenth century p.203-229.
- Lewis, Harry A German war time map of Monmouthshire Gwent Local History vol 64 1988 Welsh Journals Online
- Mein, A G The Mapping of Monmouthshire, a note Gwent Local History vol 60 1986 Welsh Journals Online
- Michael, D Parry M. The mapping of Monmouthshire : a descriptive catalogue of pre-Victorian maps of the county (now Gwent) from Saxton in 1577 with details of British atlases published during that period. Bristol : Regional Publications, 1985. 111p.
- Nichols, Reginald Another look at Saxton's map and tidying up the Monmouthshire of 1535 AD Gwent Local History vol 56 1984 Welsh Journals Online
- Takel R E Maritime Gwent before the industrial revolution Gwent Local History vol 99 2005 Welsh Journals Online
- Bayley, Derek Monmouthshire in Arms Gwent Local History vol 43 1977 Welsh Journals Online
- Dixon, John. Out since 14 : a history of the 1/2nd Battalion, the Monmouthshire Regiment 1914-19. Brecon : Old Bakehouse Publications, 2000. 324p.
- Hughes, Les. Surrender be damned : a history of the 1/1st Battalion the Monmouthshire Regiment, 1914-18. Caerphilly : Cwm Press, 1995. 318p.
- Hunter, David J. The regiments of Wales : the Welsh Guards, the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, the Royal Regiment of Wales (24th/41st), the Monmouthshire Regiment. Tollerton : D.J. Hunter, 2000. 56p.
- Noel, William F. Some records of the Royal Monmouthshire Militia (at one time the Monmouth and Brecon Militia). Monmouth : Printed by Bailey and Son, 1886. 111p.
- Probert, Wilfred. The Monmouthshire militia and deserters 1831. Gwent Family History Society Journal 43 (1996), p.3-4.
Soldiers died in the Great War 1914-1919. Pt.77, ; The Monmouthshire Regiment, ... Chippenham : Picton Publishing (Chippenham) Ltd, 1988. 59p.
Standing orders and regulations for His Majesty's Forty-Third, or, Monmouthshire Regt. of Foot, issued by Lieutenant-Colonel Denniss, at Exeter, Dec. 1, 1795. Exeter : Printed by R. Trewman, [179-] 130p.
- Sweet, W G Sgt (ed. Barry Johnson) A memoir of the final advance and march into Germany, 1918 Gwent Local History 66 1989 Welsh Journals Online
- Watson, Graham. Militiamen and sappers : a history of the Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers (Militia). Monmouth : J.H. Hooper, E.D.Smeeden, R.J. Pope, 1996. 233p.
- Westlake, Ray First World War Graves and Memorials in Gwent Gwent Local History vol 100 2006 Welsh Journals Online
- John, Michael. Surnames and Christian names found in 18th century Monmouthshire. Gwent Family History Society Journal. 59 (2000), p.10-12
- Powell, Alan A. Monmouthshire surnames, 1754-1812. Gwent Family History Society Journal 26 (1990), p. 6.
- Byles, Aubrey. The history of the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company. Cwmbran : Village Publishing, 1982. 132p.
- Evans, J A H 'O loss of sight, of thee I most complain': a nineteenth century collier's complaint about the use of miners' lamps Gwent Local History vol 81 1996 Welsh Journals Online
- Fothergill, W. The farming of Monmouthshire. Journal of the Royal Agricultural Society of England, 2nd ser vol 6, p275-298.
- Gant, Robert A note on the employment and migration of Severn Tunnel construction workers Gwent Local History vol 41 1976 Welsh Journals Online
- Gant, Robert All change in the railway communities of south-east Gwent Gwent Local History 77 1994 Welsh Journals Online
- Hassell, Charles. General view of the agriculture of the county of Monmouth, with observations on the means of its improvement. London : Sherwood, 1815. 142p.
- Horton, E H The History of Redbrook Tinplate works 1930-61 Gwent Local History vol 52 1982 Welsh Journals Online
- Linnard, Bill Tidal Dials for the Bristol Channel Gwent Local History vol 88 2000 Welsh Journals Online
- Lovering, G W J. Herbert Francis Mackworth and the coal industry in Monmouthshire, 1851-1858. Gwent Local History vol 80 1996 Welsh Journals Online
- Owen, David. South Wales collieries. from the central valleys of Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorganshire to the eastern valleys of Rhymney, Sirhowy, Ebbw and Afon Lwyd, Monmouthshire in the far east of the South Wales coalfield / Vol. 4,; valley and vale. Images of Wales ser. 128p.
- Phillips, Roger Cider Making in the Gwent Flatlands Gwent Local History vol 60 1986 Welsh Journals Online
- Pickin, John The Iron works at Tintern and Sirhowy Gwent Local History vol 52 1982 Welsh Journals Online
Records of the Several Coal Owners' Association of Monmouthshire and South Wales, 1864 to 1895. London : Printed by E.E. Miller, 1895. 661p.
- Babbidge, Adrian The Development of the Constabulary in the Eastern Valley, 1830-1890 Gwent Local History vol 57 1984 Welsh Journals Online
- Davies, James. The Chartist movement in Monmouthshire. Newport : Starling, 1981. 51p. [Originally Newport : Newport Chartist centenary committee, 1939.]
- Howell, Ben. Law and disorder in Tudor Monmouthshire. Cardiff : Merton Priory Press, 1995. 100p.
- Jenkins, Philip. Party conflict and political stability in Monmouthshire, 1690-1740. Historical Journal 29 (1986), p.557-75.
John Frost and the Chartist movement in Monmouthshire, catalogue of Chartist literature, prints, and relics, etc. Newport : Chartist centenary committee, 1939.
- Jones, Keith B. The religious climate of the Chartist insurrection at Newport, Monmouthshire, 4th November, 1839 : expressions of evangelicalism. Journal of Welsh Religious History 5 (1997), p.57-71.
- Lovering, G W J The Monmouthshire Elections of 1868 Gwent Local History. No. 90 2001 Welsh Journals Online
- Mitchell, Julian. Nathan Rogers and the Wentwood Case : a continuing issue in Monmouthshire politics from Charles I to the Chartists. (NLW's site) Welsh History Review 14 (1988), p.23-53
- Rees, Ivor Thomas Whatever happened to young William ?: the short political career of W H Meredyth Gwent Local History. No. 97 2004 Welsh Journals Online
The Rise and fall of Chartism in Monmouthshire. London : A.H. Bailey, 1840. 90p.
- Jones, Judy. Monmouthshire wills proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 1560-1601. Gwent Local History 72 (1992), p.28-35. and a separate book in 1997
Monmouthshire wills : proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury 1560-1601. Cardiff : South Wales Record Society, 1997. 256p.
- Pitman, Liz. Some Monmouthshire wills. Gwent Local History. No. 91 (autumn 2001), p.10-18.
- Allen, Richard Gwent Quakers, mariage and immorality Gwent Local History 74 1993 Welsh Journals Online
- Davies, E T Canon The Census of Religion in Monmouthshire in 1851 Gwent Local History vol 42 1977 Welsh Journals Online & Gwent Local History vol 43 1977 Welsh Journals Online & Gwent Local History vol 44 1978 Welsh Journals Online
- Elson, Mark A lack of power of the Holy Spirit ? Wesleyan Methodism in the Wye Valley in the late nineteenth century Gwent Local History vol 100 2006 Welsh Journals Online
- Evans, J Daryll St Michael in Gwent Gwent Local History 70 1991 Welsh Journals Online
- Fenn, R W D. St. Michael, Our Lady, and St. Cadoc : some ancient Monmouthshire dedications. Monmouthshire Antiquary 16 (2000), p.99-106.
Franciscan missions among the colliers and ironworkers of Monmouthshire. London : Burns and Oates, 1876. 99p.
- Lewis, Harry Religion in the Avon Lwyd Valley two hundred years ago Gwent Local History 77 1994 Welsh Journals Online
- Lovering, G W J Dissenting communities in Monmouthshire 1639-1715 Gwent Local History. No. 93 2002 Welsh Journals Online
- Meredith, Ian. Land of my fathers : on the trail of my Monmouthshire Mormons. Gwent Family History Society Journal 34 (1993), p.20-2.
- Morgan, G Campbell. Development of Nonconformity in western Monmouthshire before 1800 A.D. Gwent Family History Society Journal 31 (1992), p.19-22.
- Nichols, Reginald Friends Meeting Houses and Burial Grounds in Monmouthshire Gwent Local History vol 48 1980 Welsh Journals Online & part II Gwent Local History vol 49 1980 Welsh Journals Online
- The Baptists : their history and claims among the religious denominations of Wales in past ages : a letter from the ministers and messengers of the churches in the Monmouthshire Baptists Association, assembled on Tuesday and Wednesday, May 26th and 27th, 1857, at Salem, Blaenau Gwent. Aberdare : printed by J.T. Jones, . 15p.
- Williams, David H. Medieval monasticism in Monmouthshire. Monmouthshire Antiquary 10 (1994), p.7-17.
- Allsobrook, David Aspects of the History of the Grammar Schools in Monmouthshire during the Nineteenth Century: a minor footnote Gwent Local History vol 55 1983 Welsh Journals Online
- Corten, Anthony Aspects of the History of the Grammar Schools in Monmouthshire during the Nineteenth Century Gwent Local History vol 53 1982 Welsh Journals Online
- Davies, E T Canon. Monmouthshire Schools and Education to 1870 Newport 1957
- Griffiths, J D. Monmouthshire and the 'Blue Books' of 1847. History of Education 19 (1990), p.261-3.
Monmouthshire Welsh Intermediate Education Scheme : dated 7th August, 1894. Abertillery : W.R. Haylings, pr., 1894.
- Morgan, Trevor. Monmouthshire education 1889-1974. Cwmbran : T. M. Morgan, 1988. 306p.
- Morgan, Trevor. The Blue Books and Monmouthshire. Gwent Local History 70 1991 Welsh Journals Online
- Wilks, Frances E James Davies: an old Monmouthshire schoolmaster Gwent Local History vol 45 1978 Welsh Journals Online
- Bidder, Marie-Elaine. The Scotch cattle in Monmouthshire c.1820-1825. Gwent Local History 63 (1981), p.3-16.
Border voices : poems of Gwent and Monmouthshire. Llandysul : Gomer, 1999. 213p.
- Collins, William J T. Monmouthshire writers : a literary history and anthology. Newport, Mon. : R. H. Johns, 1945-48. 2v.
- Hignell, Andrew. Nineteenth-century cricket in Monmouthshire : an example of hierarchical diffusion. Gwent Local History 77 1994 Welsh Journals Online
- Hockey, Primrose Newport and Monmouthshire Literary Club Gwent Local History 65 1988 Welsh Journals Online
- James, F Hubert. Freemasonry in Monmouthshire from 1764. Newport : R. H. Johns, 1924. 337p.
- Jones, Joan Dr Edwin Morris and the Monmouth Diocesan Guild of Church Needlework Gwent Local History vol 54 1983 Welsh Journals Online
- Jones, J Gwynfor The National Eisteddfod of Wales at Newport (1897) and Welsh Cultural Life in Gwent Gwent Local History 67 1989 Welsh Journals Online
- King, Jan. Infant mortality in Monmouthshire : 1908 to 1914. Gwent Local History vol 84 1998 Welsh Journals Online
- Knight, Jeremy K. Odd Fellows and Amicable Women : friendly societies in 19th century industrial Monmouthshire. Monmouthshire Antiquary 4 (1980), p.50-3.
- Palmer, Roy. The folklore of (old) Monmouthshire. Woonton Almeley : Logaston, 1998. 397p.
- Spiller, Carolyn Evacuees in Gwent Gwent Local History 69 1990 Welsh Journals Online
- Wilson, Janet Juvenile crime in nineteenth century Monmouthshire Gwent Local History vol 100 2006 Welsh Journals Online
List of the voters in the county of Monmouth; with the votes given to each candidate at the contested election, August 10th and 11th, 1847. Uske : J.H. Clark, 1847. 138p
List of magistrates : Monmouth County, October, 1907. Newport : Wadley [pr.], 1907. 26p.
- Lovering, G W J. The Monmouthshire elections of 1868. Gwent Local History. No. 90 (spring 2001), p.17-34
Monmouthshire County election, August 1847 : the addresses of the candidates...together with the speeches of the members for the County of Monmouth. Uske : James Henry Clark,  138p.
The poll book of Monmouthshire : with the addresses of the candidates, the names and residences of the electors, incidents of the polling day, summary of the voting in each district, and the speeches at the declaration of the poll at the county election, November 24th, 1868. Usk : J.H. Clark, . 221p.