Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Bishton / Trefesgob
"BISHTON, (or Bishopstone), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Caldicott, in the county of Monmouth, 6 miles to the E. of Newport. Caerleon is its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value £51, in the patronage of the archdeacon. The church is dedicated to St. Cadwalader."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Bishton Hall, Bishton, Other
- St Cadwaladr, Bishton, St Cadwaladr, Bishton, Bishton, Other
- Underwood Chapel, Underwood, Underwood Chapel, Underwood, Underwood, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Bishton / Trefesgob area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches built after 1851.
Bishton parish; Statistics; Area 1211 acres; Population 114 males, 104 females, total 218
- Bishopstone Parish Church - Attendance - afternoon 36+14 scholars I service in English Thomas Williams, Minister
You can see pictures of Bishton / Trefesgob which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST386872 (Lat/Lon: 51.580254, -2.887533), Bishton / Trefesgob which are provided by: