We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Caer-Went / Caerwent
"CAERWENT, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Caldicott, in the county of Monmouth, 5 miles to the S.W. of Chepstow, its post town. It is not far from the South Wales railway and the river Severn, and contains the hamlet of Crick. Caerwent is a very ancient place, and was the site of the Roman station called Venta Silurum, on the Via Julia. Parts of the walls still remain. They are from 9 to 12 feet thick, and enclose an area of 505 by 390 yards."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Brewer, Richard J. Caerwent Roman Town. 2nd ed. Cardiff : Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments, 1997. 52p.
- Caerwent Scrapbook. Caerwent Local History Group. 1955 (in print 2004). The original comprehensive sudy of the area. See Caerwent Community site.
- Campbell, Ewan. Excavations at Caerwent vicarage orchard garden, 1973 : an extra-mural post-Roman cemetery. Archaeologia Cambrensis 142 (1993), p. 74-98.
- Craster, O E. Caerwent Roman City Monmouthshire. London : H.M.S.O., 1951.
- Lovell, Eric. Caerwent Baptist Church, 1815-2000. Caerwent : Caerwent Baptist Church, 2000. 38p.
- Titcombe, Colin A Slice of Southern Gwent [Brockwells] Gwent Local History vol 43 1977 Welsh Journals Online
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches built after 1851.
Caerwent parish consisting of Caerwent and the hamlet of Dinham - Statistics; Area 1962 acres; Population 205 males, 215 females, total 420
- St John's [? see below] Caerwent Parish Church - Attendance - morning 70+30 scholars, afternoon 80 2 services in English Informant; James White, Registrar
- The Baptist Chapel, Caerwent - Erected 1815 Attendance - morning 42+20 scholars, afternoon 27 scholars, evening 74 A day school is kept in it John Walter Morgan, Minister
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Caer-Went / Caerwent, St Stephen's Church - records with the Gwent RO
||1706-13, 1753-1834, 1839-1970
||1568-1713, 1752-1811, 1813-1915
||1725-50, 1752-1881 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Caer-Went / Caerwent which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Caer-Went / Caerwent has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST468904 (Lat/Lon: 51.609860, -2.769690), Caer-Went / Caerwent which are provided by: