|Where is it
"CAERWENT, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Caldicott, in the county of Monmouth, 5 miles to the S.W. of Chepstow, its post town. It is not far from the South Wales railway and the river Severn, and contains the hamlet of Crick. Caerwent is a very ancient place, and was the site of the Roman station called Venta Silurum, on the Via Julia. Parts of the walls still remain. They are from 9 to 12 feet thick, and enclose an area of 505 by 390 yards.
Besides numerous coins, and parts of columns and statues, some large and beautiful tesselated pavements have been discovered here. Near the village are the ruins of Caldicott Castle, a moated seat of the Bohuns, earls of Hereford. The living is a vicarage* with the perpetual curacy of Llanvair-Discoed annexed, in the diocese of Llandaff, value £258, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Stephen. The Baptists have a chapel here."
"CRICK, a hamlet in the parish of Caerwent, hundred of Caldicott, in the county of Monmouth, 3½ miles S.W. of Chepstow, its post town. It is situated on the Roman way to Caerwent."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
(Last updated - Gareth Hicks - 17 Feb 2009)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date