GENUKI Home page
Caldicott Caldicott     Contents & Site Map Contents &
Site Map
    Where is it In Monmouthshire Where is it
In Monmouthshire


CALDICOTT, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CALDICOTT, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Caldicott, in the county of Monmouth, 5 miles to the S.W. of Chepstow, its post town. It is situated in a fertile district on the N. bank of the river Severn, near the South Wales railway, and is crossed by the Pill, a small stream which falls into the Severn. The whole level tract extending westward from this place to the mouth of the Usk is called Caldicott Level, and was first reclaimed, drained, and cultivated by the monks of Goldcliff. It was formerly called the Moors, and was frequently inundated.

In this parish are the ruins of a castle, said to have been founded by the Bohuns, earls of Hereford, and long held by them as High Constables of England. The walls with towers at the angles, the principal gatehouse flanked by square towers, and part of the great hall, still remain. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff, value 260, in the patronage of M. H. Noel, Esq. The Wesleyans have a chapel in the village, and there are charitable endowments, partly for education, worth 17 a year."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]


(Last updated - Gareth Hicks  - 17 Feb 2009)

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI