The National Gazetteer
"CHAPEL HILL, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Ragland, in the county of Monmouth, 4 miles N. of Chepstow, its post and railway town. It is situated on the river Wye. In the vicinity is the celebrated Tintern Abbey, which was founded by Walter de Clare in 1141. The inhabitants are chiefly iron-workers and agriculturists. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value £60, in the patronage of the Duke of Beaufort. The charities produce about £63 per annum."
"TINTERN ABBEY, a ruin in the parish of Chapel Hill, county Monmouth, 3½ miles N. of Chepstow. See Chapel Hill."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]