Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Christchurch / Eglwys Y Drindod
"CHRISTCHURCH, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Caldicott, in the county of Monmouth, 2 miles E. of Newport, its post town and railway station. It is situated near the river Usk, which flows to the N. of the parish, and includes the hamlet of Caerleon-ultra-Pontem. Petty sessions are held in the village. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, united with the curacy of St. John the Evangelist, and in the patronage of Eton College. The church is chiefly in the Gothic style. There are charities to the value of £65 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Spink, A G. Holy Trinity Church, Christchurch, Newport, Mon. [Christchurch, Newport] : [Holy Trinity Church] 1965. 36p.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches built after 1851.
Christchurch Parish, including the hamlet of Caerleon-ultra-Pontem
Statistics; Area 5757 acres; Population 634 males, 662 females, total 1396
- Christchurch Parish Church - Attendance - morning 120, afternoon 56 2 services in English Informant B Samuel
- Caerleon Village Chapel, Independents - Erected 1840 Average attendance - morning 15, evening 20 No stated pastor John Miles, Deacon Priory Cottage, Christchurch
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
|Christchurch / Eglwys Y Drindod, Christ Church - records with the NLW
|1695-1736, 1743-58, 1778-85, 1794-1931
||1695-1736, 1743-58, 1767-77, 1794-1974
||1725-54, 1757-1888 - records with the NLW
|Casnewydd / Newport, St John Evangelist & St Mary's Church (formed from Eglwys y Drindod/Christchurch 1860) - records with the Gwent RO
|1866-1975 (St. Mary 1899-1952)
||1861-1977 (St. Mary 1949-52)
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Llyswyry / Liswerry, St Andrew's Church (formed from Eglwys y Drindod/Christchurch & Casnewydd/Newport St John Evangelist 1922) - records with the Gwent RO
You can see pictures of Christchurch / Eglwys Y Drindod which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Christchurch / Eglwys Y Drindod has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST346893 (Lat/Lon: 51.598683, -2.945645), Christchurch / Eglwys Y Drindod which are provided by: