Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
CHRISTCHURCH, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer
"CHRISTCHURCH, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Caldicott, in the county of Monmouth, 2 miles E. of Newport, its post town and railway station. It is situated near the river Usk, which flows to the N. of the parish, and includes the hamlet of Caerton-ultra-Pontem. Petty sessions are held in the village. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, united with the curacy of St. John the Evangelist, and in the patronage of Eton College. The church is chiefly in the Gothic style. There are charities to the value of £65 per annum."
"CAERTON-ULTRA-PONTEM, a hamlet in the parish of Christchurch, hundred of Caldicott, in the county of Monmouth, near Caerleon. It is seated on the S. bank of the river Usk, at Caerleon Bridge."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]