Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Cwmcarfan / Cwmcarvan
"CWMCARVEN, (or Cwmcarvan), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Ragland, in the county of Monmouth, 3½ miles S.W. of Monmouth. It is situated on a branch of the river Trothy. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value with the rectory* of Mitchel Troy, £398, in the patronage of the Duke of Beaufort. The parochial charities amount to £8 per annum, derived from the rents of the church lands."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Lacy, P J M. St. Catwg's Cwmcarvan. [Cwmcarvan] : [St. Catwg's Cwmcarvan], 1979. 12p.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Cwmcarvan Parish ; Statistics; Area 2875 acres; Population 173 males, 161 females, total 334
- Cwmcarvan Parish Church - Attendance - afternoon 67+5 scholars 1 service in English Henry George Talbot, Rector
- Cwmcarvan Hill, Wesleyan Methodist - Dwelling house erected before 1800 Attendance - morning 25, afternoon 40 "Divine service in part of the house for more than 50 years" William Edwards, Steward
- Bible Christians, Chapel House - Erected 1842 Attendance - morning 12 "Not a separate entire building. Not used exclusively as a place of worship" John Howells, Steward, Cwmcarvan Hill
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Cwmcarfan / Cwmcarvan, St Clement's Church - records with the NLW
|1660-5, 1668-73, 1681-90, 1693-1705, 1741-1976
||1660-3, 1681-90, 1693-1705, 1741-1969
||1662-3, 1668-73, 1681-1705, 1741-1976
||1696, 1726-43, 1745-1868, 1874-85 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Cwmcarfan / Cwmcarvan which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO477074 (Lat/Lon: 51.762784, -2.759246), Cwmcarfan / Cwmcarvan which are provided by: