Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Cwm-iou / Cwmyoy
"CWMYOY, a parish partly in the lower division of the hundred of Abergavenny, in the county of Monmouth, and partly in the hundred of Ewyaslacy, in the county of Hereford, 5½ miles N. of Abergavenny, and 3 from the nearest station of the West Midland railway. It is situated on the river Honthy, near a branch of the river Monnow, and contains Fwthog and Bwlch-Trewyn. The country is hilly and picturesque. The parish is separated into upper and lower divisions, and extends along the borders of Herefordshire."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Gant, Robert Land Ownership and Farm Management in Upper Cwmyoy c1850 Gwent Local History vol 47 1979 Welsh Journals Online
- Gant, Robert Depopulation and Deserted Houses in Upper Cwmyoy, 1850-1978 Gwent Local History vol 49 1980 Welsh Journals Online
- Granville, Cecil. The tragedy of the Cwmyoy prisoner. Gwent Local History 75 1993 Welsh Journals Online
- Graham, James D P Flax retting on the Brecknock-Monmouth border Gwent Local History vol 63 1987 Welsh Journals Online
- Graham, James D P Schooling in Ewyas Gwent Local History 65 1988 Welsh Journals Online
- Lewis, J M. The Cwmyoy crucifix. Monmouthshire Antiquary 16 (2000), p. 47-50.
- McGraghan, Isabel Ancient ruined houses in the Ffwddog Gwent Local History vol 53 1982 Welsh Journals Online
- Henllan Baptist Chapel, Lower Henllan, Henllan Baptist Chapel, Lower Henllan, Lower Henllan, Other
- Llanthony Priory Gatehouse, Llanthony Priory Gatehouse, Llanthony, Other
- Llanthony Priory; Llanthony Abbey, Llanthony Priory; Llanthony Abbey, Llanthony, Other
- St David, Llanthony, St David, Llanthony, Llanthony, Other
- St Martin's Church, Cwmyoy, St Martin's Church, Cwmyoy, Cwmyoy, Other
- Tabernacle Baptist Chapel, Foothog, Tabernacle Baptist Chapel, Foothog, Foothog, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Cwm-iou / Cwmyoy area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re Llanthony Priory and also St David's Church
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Cwmyoy Parish consisting of Cwmyoy Upper Division, Fwthog hamlet (co Hereford), Cwmyoy Lower Division and Bwlch Trewyn ;
Statistics; Area 10, 366 acres; Population 398 males, 361 females, total 759
- Upper Division
- Llanthony Chapel Ancient chapelry Attendance - morning 40 (alternately evening) George Griffith, Officiating Minister, Abergavenny
- Fwthog hamlet (co Hereford)
- Tabernacle Chapel, Baptist - Erected 1838 Attendance - 55 + 40 scholars Morgan Lewis, Minister
- Lower Division
- Bethlehem Chapel, Cal.Meth. Erected 1839 Attendance - morning 40, afternoon 30 scholars, evening 60 John Jones, Minister
- St Martin's Parish Church Attendance - morning 40 (alternately afternoons) 1 service in English Peter Jones Lewis, Incumbent
- Henllan Chapel, Baptist - Erected 1840 Attendance - evening 97 (afternoons 3 times a month) Morgan Lewis, Minister
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
Cwm-iou / Cwmyoy, St Michael's Church - records with the Gwent RO
|1708-92, 1798-1801, 1805-1950
||1843-67, 1873, 1875-6 - records with the NLW
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Llanddewi Nant Hodni / Llanthony, SS Mary, John the Baptist & Florence's Church (formed from Cwm-iou/Cwmyoy) - records with the Gwent RO
||1835, 1843, 1845-53, 1855-66, 1873, 1875-6 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Cwm-iou / Cwmyoy which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO298232 (Lat/Lon: 51.902860, -3.021789), Cwm-iou / Cwmyoy which are provided by: