Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llanddingad / Dingestow
"DINGESTOW, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Ragland, in the county of Monmouth, 2½ miles S.W. of Monmouth, by the Monmouth branch of the West Midland railway, on which it is a station. It is situate on the river Trothy, and contains Grace-Dieu Park. The parish is well wooded, and the surface diversified with hills. The soil is a stiff clay, and half arable. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff, value with the curacy of Tregare, £244, in the patronage of the Archdeacon and Chapter of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities amount to £3 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Russell, Paul. What did Medieval Welsh scribes do? : the scribe of the Dingestow Court Manuscript. Cambrian Medieval Celtic Studies 37 (1999), p. 79-96.
See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Dingat & St Mary's Church
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Dingestow Parish; Area (with Grace Dieu Park) 1930 acres; Population 114 males, 101 females, total 215
- St Mary Dingestow Parish Church Attendance - morning 58, afternoon 61 "Very few persons attended Church on the 30 in consequence of it being Midlent or Mothering Sunday on which day there is a custom of visiting relatives" 2 services in English Thomas Morgan, Vicar
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Llanddingad / Dingestow, St Mary's Church - records with the Gwent RO
||1696, 1725-30, 1733-46, 1750-1818, 1820-64, 1874-90 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Llanddingad / Dingestow which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO457103 (Lat/Lon: 51.788665, -2.788678), Llanddingad / Dingestow which are provided by: