Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
DINGESTOW, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer
"DINGESTOW, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Ragland, in the county of Monmouth, 2½ miles S.W. of Monmouth, by the Monmouth branch of the West Midland railway, on which it is a station. It is situate on the river Trothy, and contains Grace-Dieu Park. The parish is well wooded, and the surface diversified with hills. The soil is a stiff clay, and half arable. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff, value with the curacy of Tregare, £244, in the patronage of the Archdeacon and Chapter of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The charities amount to £3 per annum."
"GRACEDIEU PARK, an extra parochial place in the lower division of the hundred of Ragland, county Monmouth, 3 miles S.W. of Monmouth. A monastery of the Cistercian order was founded here in the 13th century."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]