Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Dixton (Dixton Newton)
"DIXTON-NEWTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Skenfreth, in the county of Monmouth, 1 mile N.E. of Monmouth. It is situated on the river Wye, and contains the hamlets of Dixton-Hadnock and Wyesham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, value £223, in the patronage of E. Machen, Esq."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Dixton Newton Parish; Statistics; Area 7268 acres; Population 2797 males, 3170 females, total 5967
- Dixton Parish Church - Attendance - morning 104+52 scholars, afternoon 80+50 scholars "The above is no criterion of the number of persons in the parish attending public worship, as members of the Church, from the circumstances of the Church being inconveniently situated and not affording sufficient accommodation, from the scattered nature of then population and from many residing near to other parish churches" 2 services in English James Lister Dighton, Vicar
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Dixton (Dixton Newton), St Peter's Church - records with the HRO
||1661-9, 1671-94, 1696-1833, 1836 - records with the HRO
||1843-62, 1864-71, 1873-7, 1879-81 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Dixton (Dixton Newton) which are provided by:
- "In co. Monmouth, includes hamlets of Dixton Hadnock, Dixton Newton and Wyesham. Transferred to Diocese of Llandaff in 1844. Returned to Diocese of Hereford in 1920. Now in Skenfreth Hundred, MON." Added 28 Oct 2005.
(Ref: The Parish Registers of Herefordshire, J Harnden, 1987, ISBN 0 9512347 0 6)
You can see the administrative areas
in which Dixton (Dixton Newton) has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO520135 (Lat/Lon: 51.818012, -2.697790), Dixton (Dixton Newton) which are provided by: