Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Allteuryn / Goldcliff
"GOLDCLIFF, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Caldicott, county Monmouth, 4 miles S.E. of Newport, its post town. It is situated on the northern shore of the Bristol Channel, and a stream called Goldcliff Pill flows through the parish. The entrance to the river Usk is about 2 miles W. of the village. A monastery was founded here in the early part of the 12th century, which was subject to the abbey of Bee, in Normandy, but after the suppression of alien priories, was made a cell to the abbey of Tewkesbury."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Jones, Bob. The White Monks of Goldcliff. Country Quest 28/6 (1987), p. 25-6.
- Locock, Martin. Hill Farm, Goldcliff : Middle Iron Age drainage on the Caldicot Level. Archaeology in the Severn Estuary 9 (1998), p. 37-44.
- Morgan, Octavius. Goldcliff and the ancient Roman inscribed stone found there, 1878 : together with other papers. Newport : Printed for the Monmouthshire and Caerleon Antiquarian Association by H. Mullock and Sons, 1882. 35p.
- Parkhouse, Jonathan. Goldcliff. Archaeology in the Severn Estuary (1990), p. 11-14.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches built after 1851.
Goldcliff parish statistics; Area 14,262 acres; population 132 males, 131 females, total 263
- Goldcliff Parish Church - Attendance - alternate morning/afternoon 47, Sunday School 17. Two services in English B Samuel, Registrar.
- Bethesda Church , Independent - Erected about 1835. Attendance - morning 30, evening 35. Thomas Jones, Minister, Pegwelly
- Wesleyan - Erected 1812 (Not a separate building, "room" inserted) Attendance - evening 38 John Seys
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Allteuryn / Goldcliff, St Mary Magdalene's Church - records with the Gwent RO
||1725-50, 1753-6, 1758-98, 1800-19, 1824-48, 1850, 1852-7, 1859-68, 1870, 1872-80, 1882-92 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Allteuryn / Goldcliff which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Allteuryn / Goldcliff has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST365831 (Lat/Lon: 51.543161, -2.917094), Allteuryn / Goldcliff which are provided by: