Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.
GOLDCLIFF, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"GOLDCLIFF, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Caldicott, county Monmouth, 4 miles S.E. of Newport, its post town. It is situated on the northern shore of the Bristol Channel, and a stream called Goldcliff Pill flows through the parish. The entrance to the river Usk is about 2 miles W. of the village. A monastery was founded here in the early part of the 12th century, which was subject to the abbey of Bee, in Normandy, but after the suppression of alien priories, was made a cell to the abbey of Tewkesbury.
Goldcliff appears to be so called from the exceedingly brilliant appearance of the cliffs here, which skirt the Bristol Channel, the lower stratum being hard brown grit full of yellow mica, and the upper limestone. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £18, and the vicarial for £17 5s. 6d. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff, value £85, in the patronage of Eton College. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. There are traces of a Roman encampment, and some remains of the old monastery."