Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Y Grysmwnt / Grosmont
"GROSMONT, a parish in the hundred of Skenfreth, county Monmouth, 9 miles N.E. of Abergavenny, and 10 N.W. of Monmouth. It is, situated in the N.E. part of the county, close upon the borders of Herefordshire, at the foot of Graig Hill. The river Monnow flows through the parish. Grosmont was formerly a market and corporate town, governed by a mayor and other municipal officers; but for many years the market has declined, and the above offices only exist in name. Numerous remains of stone causeways intersect the adjoining meadows, supposed to indicate the site of former streets."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Guide to Monmouth and the various objects of interest in and around it : including brief historical and descriptive notices of Monmouth, Raglan, Whitecastle, Skenfrith, and Grosmont Castles, Tintern Abbey, &c.Monmouth : published by R. Waugh, [18--?] 77p.
- Levett, F G. The story of Skenfrith, Grosmont and St. Maughans with excursions to Llangattock-Vibon-Avel and Llanrothal. s.l.] : F.G. Levett, 1984. 250 leaves.
- McGraghan, Isabel A Grosmont Diary Gwent Local History vol 56 1984 Welsh Journals Online
- Morgan, Phillip. The Grosmont vestry in the 19th century. Abergavenny] : Grosmont Press, 1985. 57 leaves.
- Morgan, Phillip A year on the land in Medieval Grosmont Gwent Local History. No. 96 2004 Welsh Journals Online
- Remfry, Paul M. Grosmont Castle, 1066 to 1538. Malvern Link : SCS Publishing, c2000. 49p.
- Thomas-Symonds, Nick The Battle of Grosmont, 1405: a reinterpretation Gwent Local History. No. 97 2004 Welsh Journals Online
- Grossmont Independent, Grosmont, Grossmont Independent, Grosmont, Grosmont, Other
- Roman Catholic Church, Grosmont,, Roman Catholic Church, Grosmont,, Grosmont, Other
- Salem Chapel, Salem Chapel, Grosmont, Other
- St Mary's Church Rc Cemetery, Grosmont, St Mary's Church Rc Cemetery, Grosmont, Grosmont, Other
- St Mary's Roman Catholic Church, St Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Grosmont, Other
- St Nicholas' Church, Grosmont, St Nicholas' Church, Grosmont, Grosmont, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Y Grysmwnt / Grosmont area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re Greig Zion (or Salem|) Primitive Methodist (or Baptist) Chapel, Grosmont
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
- There is no entry in the above for Grosmont parish, whether by omission or otherwise is unknown
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Grysmwnt, Y / Grosmont's Church - records with the NLW
|1589-1638, 1662-72, 1678-1860
||1589-1638, 1662-72, 1678-1913
||1589-1638, 1662-72, 1678-1954
||1698-9, 1725-31, 1734-46, 1749-1835, 1837-43, 1845, 1848, 1855-61, 1863-4, 1868-73 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Y Grysmwnt / Grosmont which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Y Grysmwnt / Grosmont has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO404242 (Lat/Lon: 51.913087, -2.867910), Y Grysmwnt / Grosmont which are provided by: