We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
GROSMONT, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"GROSMONT, a parish in the hundred of Skenfreth, county Monmouth, 9 miles N.E. of Abergavenny, and 10 N.W. of Monmouth. It is, situated in the N.E. part of the county, close upon the borders of Herefordshire, at the foot of Graig Hill. The river Monnow flows through the parish. Grosmont was formerly a market and corporate town, governed by a mayor and other municipal officers; but for many years the market has declined, and the above offices only exist in name. Numerous remains of stone causeways intersect the adjoining meadows, supposed to indicate the site of former streets.
The village is considerable, but consists chiefly of scattered cottages, interspersed with a few substantial houses near the church. The great tithes belong to lay impropriators. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £118, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient edifice, built in the form of a cross, with a tower, and contains a tomb of one John of Kent, a local magician. The charities, including a school endowment, produce about £45 per annum. Here are remains of an ancient castle, once the seat of the powerful earls of Lancaster. The Duke of Beaufort takes the title of baron from this place. Fairs are held on the 4th April, 10th August, and 9th October, for the sale of cattle and live stock."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]