Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Gwernesni / Gwernesney
"GWERNESNEY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Usk, county Monmouth, 12 miles N.E. of Usk. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated on the new road leading from Usk to Chepstow, and near Olway Brook. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff, value £112."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- St Michael's Church, Gwernesney, St Michael's Church, Gwernesney, Gwernesney, Other
- St Michael, Gwernesney, St Michael, Gwernesney, Gwernesney, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Gwernesni / Gwernesney area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Gwernesney Parish; Statistics; Area 543 acres; Population 29 males, 24 females, total 53
- Gwernesney Parish Church - Attendance - morning 18 1 service in English James Blower, Curate
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Gwernesni / Gwernesney, St Michael's Church - records with the NLW
|Baptisms & Burials
||1725-55, 1757-1817, 1819-21, 1824-5, 1827, 1829-68, 1874 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Gwernesni / Gwernesney which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Gwernesni / Gwernesney has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO415017 (Lat/Lon: 51.710925, -2.848114), Gwernesni / Gwernesney which are provided by: