|Kemeys Inferior||Contents &
|Where is it
"KEMEYS-INFERIOR, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Usk, county Monmouth, 3 miles N.E. of Caerleon, and 5 S. of Usk. The parish is bounded on the N. by the river Usk, and is intersected by a high ridge of wooded hills running from W. to E. Above a third of the parish is woodland, but on the banks of the Usk are some tracts of rich grazing land. The village is very small, and wholly agricultural. There are several quarries of stone, which is used for paving and roofing. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff, value £130. The church is a small edifice dedicated to All Saints."
"STRIGUIL, (or Skigil), a ruined castle or stronghold in Went Wood, county Monmouth, 5 miles S.E. of Usk. It was built by Richard de Clare, surnamed Strongbow, and now belongs to the Duke of Beaufort."
"WENTWOOD FOREST, a demesne in the parishes of Penhow and Kemeys Inferior, county Monmouth, 5 miles S.E. of Usk, a tract belonging to the Duke of Beaufort, whose seat is Wentwood Lodge. The Llangibby hounds meet here."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
(Last updated - Gareth Hicks - 17 Feb 2009)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date