Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Cilgwrrwg / Kilgwrrwg
"KILGWRRWG, (or Kilgooroog), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Ragland, county Monmouth, 5 miles N.W. of Chepstow, and 6 S.E. of Usk. The parish is of small extent and wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value £57, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Llandaff."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Greeves, John W H. The unique church of Kilgwrrwg, [Gwent]. Country Quest 31/9 (1991), p. 6-7.
- Guy, John R Kilgwrrwg Church Gwent Local History vol 53 1982 Welsh Journals Online
- Cilgwrrwg Bible Christian Chapel (Kilgwrrwg), Cilgwrrwg Bible Christian Chapel (Kilgwrrwg), Cilgwrrwg, Other
- Holy Cross Church, Kilgwrrwg, Holy Cross Church, Kilgwrrwg, Kilgwrrwg, Other
- Kilgwrrwg Bible Christian, Kilgwrrwg, Kilgwrrwg Bible Christian, Kilgwrrwg, Kilgwrrwg, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Cilgwrrwg / Kilgwrrwg area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Kilgwrrwg Parish; Statistics; Area 659 acres; Population 86 males, 68 females, total 154
- Kilgwrrwg Parish Church - Erected about 180 years, 1671 Attendance - morning 25, afternoon 35 No Sunday scholars 1 service in English Informant; James White, Registrar
- Zion Bible Christians Erected 1842 Attendance - morning 40, evening 60 George M (?), Local Preacher and Steward, Micham, Kilgwrrne Hill
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Cilgwrrwg / Kilgwrrwg, Holy Cross Church - records with the Gwent RO
||1814, 1817-19, 1821-53, 1857-60 - records with the NLW
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Cilgwrrwg / Kilgwrrwg which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Cilgwrrwg / Kilgwrrwg has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST471982 (Lat/Lon: 51.680015, -2.766539), Cilgwrrwg / Kilgwrrwg which are provided by: