We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llan-arth / Llanarth

"LLANARTH, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Ragland, county Monmouth, 2½ miles N.W. of Ragland, its nest town, and 5 S.E. of Abergavenny. It is situated on a tributary of the Usk, and includes the hamlet of Clytha. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, value with the perpetual curacy of Bettws-Newydd annexed, £285, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is dedicated to St. Teilaw. There is a Roman Catholic chapel. The parochial endowments produce nearly £60 per annum. Llanarth Court is the seat of the Herberts."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)


  • Valaydon, Christabel. Ring out the old, ring in the new : the restoration of the bell tower at St. Teilo's Church, Llanarth, Gwent. [Llanarth, Gwent] : [St. Teilo's], [1983?] 53p.

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.  Check with  Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.

Llanarth Parish consisting of Llanarth and Clytha hamlet; Statistics; Area 3793 acres; Population 300 males, 310 females, total 610

  • Llanarth parish
  • Llanarth Parish Church    Attendance (average) - morning 180 + 30 scholars, evening 110    2 services in English        William Pain, Minister
  • St Mary's Catholic Chapel   Erected before 1800      Attendance - morning 130, afternoon 60       Samuel Fisher, Roman Catholic Priest

Church Records

See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records

  • This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
    Llan-arth / Llanarth, St Teilo's Church - records with the Gwent RO
    Baptisms Marriages Banns Burials
    1598-1729, 1734-79, 1789-1896 1598-1729, 1734-1837 1824-1914 1598-1729, 1734-79, 1789-1895
    Bishops Transcripts 1696, 1725-1876, 1878-82, 1896-1907 - records with the NLW
    [Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llan-arth / Llanarth which are provided by:


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llan-arth / Llanarth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO375109 (Lat/Lon: 51.793202, -2.907657), Llan-arth / Llanarth which are provided by:
  • Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.  Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.