Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
LLANARTH, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer
"LLANARTH, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Ragland, county Monmouth, 2½ miles N.W. of Ragland, its nest town, and 5 S.E. of Abergavenny. It is situated on a tributary of the Usk, and includes the hamlet of Clytha. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, value with the perpetual curacy of Bettws-Newydd annexed, £285, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is dedicated to St. Teilaw. There is a Roman Catholic chapel. The parochial endowments produce nearly £60 per annum. Llanarth Court is the seat of the Herberts."
"CLYTHA, a hamlet in the parish of Llanarth, in the lower division of the hundred of Ragland, in the county of Monmouth, 5 miles S.E. of Abergavenny, its post town. It is situated on the river Usk. Clytha House is a handsome structure, near which stands Clytha Castle, being a mausoleum to the memory of the heiress of the house of Tredegar. Here the Monmouth hounds meet. The charities produce £54 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]