Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llanddenni / Llandenny
"LLANDENNY, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Ragland, county Monmouth, 3 miles N.E. of Usk, its post town, 3 S. of Ragland, and 9 from Monmouth. It is traversed by the Olway brook and the Monmouthshire line of railway, which has a station here. It is a small agricultural village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff, value £50. The church is dedicated to St. John. The parochial endowments produce about £45 per annum, besides six cottages for the poor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Russell, G K. The church of St. John the Apostle and Evangelist, Llandenny, Monmouthshire. Llandenny : St. John the Apostle and Evangelist, 1996. 1 sheet.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llandenny Parish; Statistics; Area 2228 acres; Population 199 males, 198 females, total 397
- Llandenny Parish Church Attendance - morning 33 +12 scholars, afternoon 63 2 services in English Augustin Williams, Curate
- Kingcoed Chapel, Baptist Erected 1845 Attendance - afternoon 19 John Jones, Baptist Minister, Ragland
- Primitive Methodist Chapel Erected 1828 Attendance - morning 19, evening 50 Thomas Giles, Minister, Abersychan, Pontypool
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Llanddenni / Llandenny, St John the Apostle's Church - records with the Gwent RO
|1710-15, 1722-42, 1764-1813
||1711-15, 1723-49, 1754-1839
||1710-15, 1722-49, 1764-1812
||1725-1815, 1817-30, 1832-7, 1839-68, 1871-2 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Llanddenni / Llandenny which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanddenni / Llandenny has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO415039 (Lat/Lon: 51.730704, -2.848485), Llanddenni / Llandenny which are provided by: