We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANDOGO, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Ragland, county Monmouth, 6 miles S.E. of Monmouth, its post town, and 7 N. of Chepstow. It is situated at the foot of Beacon Hill, on the W. bank of the river Wye, which here makes a bend. The tide flows up to about this point. The village is remarkably neat, consisting of cottages rising one above another, interspersed with gardens and orchards, and backed by woods."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.  Check with  Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.

Llandogo Parish; Statistics; Area 1843 acres; Population 253 males, 318 females, total 571

  • Llandogo Parish Church - Attendance - morning 82 + 47 scholars, afternoon 81 + 43 scholars      1 service in English         Thomas Langley BA, Perpetual Curate
  • The Chapel of the Holy Trinity, Whitebrook     Licensed 1835, consecrated 1845, a chapel of ease to the Parish Church which is 2 1/2 miles distant       Attendance (average 6 months) - morning 80 + 40 scholars, afternoon 130 + 35 scholars        1 service in English       Thomas Langley BA, Minister
  • Hepzibah Chapel, Baptist         Erected 1824        Attendance - evening 11        William Madby, Clerk
  • Beulah Chapel, Baptist         Erected  1819         Attendance (average)  - afternoon 25       James Dale, Deacon, New Mills, Monmouth
  • Penwern Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist     Erected 'near 1800'     Attendance - morning 30             Richard White, Local Preacher occasionally, Kingcoed, nr Ragland

Church Records

See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records

  • This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
    Llandogo, St Dochoe's Church - records with the Gwent RO
    Baptisms Marriages Banns Burials
    1694-1942 1698-1748, 1750-2, 1755-1971 1835-1974 1694-1811, 1813-87
    Bishops Transcripts 1725-9, 1731-1872 - records with the NLW
    [Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llandogo which are provided by:


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llandogo has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


  • Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.  Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO522041 (Lat/Lon: 51.733518, -2.693592), Llandogo which are provided by: