|Where is it
"LLANDOGO, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Ragland, county Monmouth, 6 miles S.E. of Monmouth, its post town, and 7 N. of Chepstow. It is situated at the foot of Beacon Hill, on the W. bank of the river Wye, which here makes a bend. The tide flows up to about this point. The village is remarkably neat, consisting of cottages rising one above another, interspersed with gardens and orchards, and backed by woods.
The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Llandaff, value with the curacy of Whitebrook annexed, £112, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Dochoe. The charities produce about £1 per annum."
"WHITE-BROOK, a chapelry in the parish of Llandogo, county Monmouth, 5 miles S.E. of Monmouth, on the river Wye, under Beacon Hill."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
(Last updated - Gareth Hicks - 17 Feb 2009)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date