Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANFRECHFA, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Usk, county Monmouth, 5 miles S.E. of Pontypool, and 2 from Caerleon, its post town. A tributary of the river Usk flows through the parish. The workhouse for the Pontypool Poor-law Union is situated here. Woollen goods are manufactured. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £85, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The charities amount to about £5 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Hockey, Primrose Elizabeth Harcourt Mitchell Gwent Local History vol 49 1980 Welsh Journals Online
- Hockey, Primrose Capel Zion, Ponthir, Gwent Gwent Local History vol 64 1988 Welsh Journals Online
- Takel, R E The Bath House, Llanyravon: a small domestic feature, long since disappeared Gwent Local History. No. 95 2003 Welsh Journals Online
See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re All Saints' Church
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanfrechfa Parish consisting of Upper and Lower Divisions; Statistics; Area 4320 acres; Population 1342 males, 1160 females, total 2502
- Upper Division
- Bethel Chapel, Independent Erected 1837 Attendance - morning 100 + 50 scholars, afternoon 62, evening 150 "The inserted chapel has been purchased in 1837 for the sum of £220 which has been paid by a gent. named Edward Wrench from the same place .........." Edward Williams, Minister, Bron Heulog, Cwmbran
- Siloam Chapel, Cwmbran, Baptist Erected 1838 Attendance - morning 120, evening 150 Ebenezer Philip Williams, Baptist Minister, Cwmbran
- Gren-Meadow-Room, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1850 Attendance - morning 40, afternoon 52, no school George Thomas, Hugh Carter; Wesleyan Minister, Pontypool * Separate entry listed in Return under Lower Division for Green Meadow Chapel.(Wesleyan) A room in a dwelling house. David Jones, Steward
- Lower Division
- Llanvrecgva (sic) Parish Church Attendance (average) - morning 90 "The number of children attending the two schools amounts to between 55 or 60" 1 service in English William Howell, Incumbent
- Primitive Methodist Chapel, Cwmbran Erected 1844 Attendance - morning 32 scholars, afternoon 37 scholars, evening 40 "It is also let for a day school" Elijah Filer, Steward, Square, Cwmbran
- Pontrhydyrun Chapel, Baptist Erected 1815 Attendance (including Sunday scholars) - morning 160, evening 212 David D Evans, Minister, Pontrhydyrun Works
- Sion Chapel, Baptist Erected c 1803 Attendance - morning 200, evening 350 Reese Griffiths, Minister, Ponterw, nr Cairlion
- See above for entry under Upper Division for Green Meadow Chapel.(Wesleyan)
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
|Llanfrechfa, All Saints Church - records with the Gwent RO
||1725-41, 1743-1852, 1854-68, 1870-4 including Cwmbran from 1860 - records with the NLW
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Griffithstown, St Hilda's Church (formed from Llanfrechfa + Pant-teg/Panteg 1898) - records with the Gwent RO
You can see pictures of Llanfrechfa which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanfrechfa has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST320935 (Lat/Lon: 51.636134, -2.983993), Llanfrechfa which are provided by: