We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llangadog / Llangattock Juxta-Caerleon
"LLANGATTOCK JUXTA CAERLEON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Usk, county Monmouth, 2 miles N.E. of Newport. It is situated on the river Usk, and near the line of the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford railway. The parish includes the township and village of Caerleon, its post town. On the other side of the rivet, opposite the village, is the seat of Lord Llanover, built under the shadow of the Blorenge Mountain."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Articles from Gwent Local History on Caerleon.net
- Barber, Chris. Arthurian Caerleon : in literature and legend. Abergavenny : Blorenge Books, 1996. 44p.
- Boon, George C. Isca, the Roman legionary fortress at Caerleon, Mon. 3rd ed. Cardiff : National Museum of Wales, 1972. 142p.
- Brewer, Richard J. Caerleon and the archaeologists: changing ideas on the Roman fortress. Monmouthshire Antiquary 17 (2001), p. 9-34.
- Cessford, Craig. An eighteenth century clay pipe production site at Caerleon. Monmouthshire Antiquary 14 (1998), p. 41-55.
- Davis, Paul R. The Old Bull Inn and Hanbury Arms : a survey of two Caerleon pubs. Archaeology in Wales 33 (1993), p. 20-2.
- Deane, S G. The living village : the story of some of those who lived in Caerleon during the twentieth century. Cwmbran : Village Publishing, c1985. 113p.
- Deane, Stanley G The creeping village [Caerleon] Gwent Local History vol 58 1985 Welsh Journals Online
- Hockey, Primrose. Caerleon past and present. Risca : Starling Press, 1981. 147p.
- Johns, William N. Historical traditions and facts relating to Newport and Caerleon. Newport : printed and published by W.N. Johns, 1880-85. Contents: v.1. Pre-historic and Roman period.--v.2. The Saxon period.--v.3. Norman and early English period.--v.4. Edward III. to Mary.--v.5. Temp. Elizabeth to Charles I.--v.6. The church during the Puritan period.
- Kennerley, E Mrs River Trade and Shipping in Caerleon from the 16th to the 19th Century Gwent Local History vol 47 1979 Welsh Journals Online
- Kennerley, Eija Caerleon Park Gwent Local History vol 54 1983 Welsh Journals Online
- Kennerley, Eija Charles Williams of Caerleon: legend or Truth? Gwent Local History vol 44 1978 Welsh Journals Online
- Kennerley, Eija Medieval Caerleon I Gwent Local History vol 45 1978 Welsh Journals Online
- Kennerley, Eija Caerleon Manor and mills II Gwent Local History vol 45 1978 Welsh Journals Online
- Kennerley, Elija Caerleon Mills and Ponthir Tinplate Works Gwent Local History vol 49 1980 Welsh Journals Online
- Kennerley, Eija St Cadoc's Church, Caerleon Gwent Local History vol 50 1981 Welsh Journals Online
- Kennerley, Eija Caerleon: the Almshouse Gwent Local History vol 57 1984 Welsh Journals Online
- Kennerley, Eija The Priory, Caerleon. Gwent Local History vol 62 1987 Welsh Journals Online
- Kirby, Conyers. A pictorial handbook of Newport (Mon.) : with some account of the old port of Caerleon. Cardiff : Mullock and Sons, 1891.
- Knight, Jeremy K. Caerleon Roman Fortress. Cardiff : Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments, 1994.
- Moore, Donald. Caerleon: fortress of the Legion. Cardiff : National Museum of Wales, 1970. 53p.
- Morgan, Trevor M. Caerleon endowed schools : the first 270 years. Caerleon : Williams's Schools, c1994. 133p.
- Smith, C E History and memory, the shaping of Caerleon Gwent Local History vol 100 2006 Welsh Journals Online
- Stevens, Norman. Caerleon : 'scenes past' : a walk through history. Abertillery : Old Bakehouse Publications, 1997. 128p
- The Parish Church of St Cadoc, Caerleon, Monmouthshire. Gloucester : British Publishing,  24p.
- Vaughan, Philip. Byways of Gwent's industrial past : Caerleon, Ponthir and Trostry. Gwent Family History Society Journal. 60 (2000), p. 20-23.
- Wiles, Eric. Publications of the Caerleon Antiquarian Association, later Monmouthshire and Caerleon Antiquarian Association, now Monmouthshire Antiquarian Association. Monmouthshire Antiquary 13 (1997), p. 59-66.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llangattock Parish consisting of Llangattock and the town of Caerleon; Statistics; Area 2937 acres; Population 750 males, 789 females, total 1539
- Llangattock Parish - No return
- Town of Caerleon
- Caerleon Church Attendance - morning 100 + 107 scholars, evening 180 + 87 scholars 2 services in English David Jones, Minister
- Baptist Chapel, Castle St, Caerleon Town Erected 1764, enlarged 1821 Attendance - morning 300, afternoon 66 scholars, evening 320 James Evans, Minister
- Reheboth, Prim. Methodist, Town of Caerleon Erectedb 1844 Attendance - morning 35 + 10 scholars, afternoon 12 scholars, evening 70 scholars Richard Jones, Steward
- Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1814 Attendance - morning 60 + 30 scholars, afternoon - school William Jones, Chapel Steward, Bootmaker
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- Searchable indexes of varios Parish & Non-conformist records on Caerleon.net
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Llangadog / Llangattock Juxta-Caerleon, St Cadoc's Church - records with the NLW
||1696, 1725-1905 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Llangadog / Llangattock Juxta-Caerleon which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llangadog / Llangattock Juxta-Caerleon has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- 1840 Tithe Survey - on Caerleon.net
- National Roman Legion Museum
- Some useful and interesting information about this parish can be found in: M.A. Williams. Researching Local History: The Human Journey, London, Longman, 1996, 276 p.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST339906 (Lat/Lon: 51.610289, -2.955995), Llangadog / Llangattock Juxta-Caerleon which are provided by: