GENUKI Home page
Llangattock Vibon Avel Llangattock Vibon Avel     Contents & Site Map Contents &
Site Map
    Where is it In Monmouthshire Where is it
In Monmouthshire


LLANGATTOCK-VIBON-AVEL, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANGATTOCK-VIBON-AVEL, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Skenfreth, county Monmouth, 4 miles N.W. of Monmouth, its post town, and 11 from Abergavenny. It includes the chapelry of Llanvanair, and the hamlet of Newcastle, where are the remains of an ancient castle, and an oak said to have been planted by Owain Glyndwr. Limestone is quarried here for conversion into lime. The living is a vicarage* in the dioc, of Llandaff, value with the perpetual curacies of Llanvanair and St. Maughau annexed, 365. The church is dedicated to St. Cadocus. The parochial charities amount to about 25 per annum. The principal residence is The Hendre, the seat of the late J. E. Welch Rolls, Esq., deputy-lieutenant of the county."

"LLANVANOS, a chapelry in the parish of Llangattock-Vibon-Avel, county Monmouth, 6 miles N.W. of the town of Monmouth. There is a church, the living of which is a perpetual curacy annexed to the parish vicarage,* in the diocese of Llandaff."

"NEWCASTLE, a hamlet in the parish of Llangattock-Vibon-Avel, hundred of Lower Skenfreth, county Monmouth, 4 miles N.W. of Monmouth. It has remains of an old fort."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]


(Last updated - Gareth Hicks  - 17 Feb 2009)

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.