Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llangyfiw / Llangeview
"LLANGEVIEW, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Usk, county Monmouth, 1 mile E. of Usk, its post town, and 12 from Monmouth. The village is very small, consisting of a few scattered farmhouses. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value Â£81. The church is dedicated to St. David. The only charities are a share in Usk school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- St Cyfyw's Church, Llangeview, St Cyfyw's Church, Llangeview, Llangeview, Other
- St David's Church, Llangeview, St David's Church, Llangeview, Llangeview, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Llangyfiw / Llangeview area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llangeview Parish; Statistics; Area 1545 acres; Population 83 males, 99 females, total 182
- Llangeview Parish Church Attendance - morning 25 1 service in English James Blower, Incumbent
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Llangyfiw / Llangeview which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO397006 (Lat/Lon: 51.700845, -2.873973), Llangyfiw / Llangeview which are provided by: