We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llangua

"LLANGUA, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Skenfreth, county Monmouth, 9 miles N.E. of Abergavenny, its post town, and 13 from Monmouth. It is situated on the river Monnow, and the Hereford railway passes near it. A monastery was founded here in early times. There is no village, only a few scattered cottages. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff, value £120. The church is dedicated to St. James." [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)

Bibliography

  • Hockey, Frederick. Llangua, alien priory of Lyre. Journal of the Historical Society of the Church in Wales 27 (1990), p. 8-13.

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.  Check with  Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.

  • No entry in this Return possibly because the1851 census itself  may put this parish under Herefordshire, the church is right on the Wales/England border

    Church Records

    See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records

    • This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
      Llangiwa / Llangua, St James Church - records with the HRO
      Baptisms Marriages Burials
      1714-53, 1768-1810 1714-63, 1817-43 1714-63, 1768-1810
      Bishops Transcripts 1696, 1725-32, 1734-56, 1758-1805, 1807-9, 1811-15, 1817-44, 1850, 1855 - records with the NLW
      [Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
    You can see pictures of Llangua which are provided by:

    Historical Geography

    • "In co. Monmouth. Originally in the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Llandaff but transferred to the Diocese of Hereford in 1886."
      (Ref: The Parish Registers of Herefordshire, J Harnden, 1987, ISBN 0 9512347 0 6)

    You can see the administrative areas in which Llangua has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

    Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llangua to another place.