LLANHILEDD / LLANHILLETH (Llanhiddel), Monmouthshire
"LLANHIDDEL, (or Llanhilleth), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Abergavenny, county Monmouth, 4 miles N.W. of Pontypool, its post town, and 12 from Usk. It is situated on the river Ebwy. The Aberbeeg station of the Western Valleys line of railway is about 1 mile N.W. of the village. Coal is obtained here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff, value £109. The church is dedicated to St. Iltyd. The Independents and Baptists have each a chapel. Here are some very ancient yew trees, also traces of a British camp and other remains."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Burchell, Irene V St
Illtyd's, Brynithel - "The Old Church" Gwent Local History 75 1993
- Daniels, Clive.
Trinant in photographs : with Aberbeeg, Llanhilleth, Crumlin, Kendon and Oakdale. Volume 1. Abertillery : Old Bakehouse, 1995. 128p.
- Eckley, Simon. Abertillery, Aberbeeg and Llanhilleth. Stroud : Chalford Publishing, 1995. 159p. Archive Photographs.
- Eckley, Simon.
Voices of Abertillery, Aberbeeg and Llanhilleth. Chalford : Chalford Publishing, 1996. 127p.
- Pritchard, Bill.
Old Aberbeeg & Llanhilleth in photographs. Abertillery : Old Bakehouse, 1995. 128p.
- Pritchard, Bill. Old Aberbeeg and Llanhilleth in Photographs. Vols 1 & 2. 1991 & 1994.
- Robinson, Howard Boyhood
memories of Aberbeeg Gwent Local History 78 1995
- Robinson, Howard Letter
from America: Edwin Wyld or Wilde ? Gwent
Local History vol 101 2006 Welsh
- Thomas, Malcolm. Look back at Old Aberbeeg and Llanhilleth. Vol 1. 2001.
- Weeks, Robert A
post-dissolution monastic site and its landscape: Cillonydd on Mynydd Maen
Gwent Local History. No. 92 2002
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanhilleth Parish; Statistics; Area 2013 acres; Population 509 males, 390 females, total 899
- Llanhilleth Parish Church Attendance - morning 14 +31 scholars, afternoon 12 2 services, 1 in Welsh James Hughes, Rector
- Crumlin Church of England Licensed Schoolroom Licensed 1846 Attendance - evening 30 + 20 scholars James Hughes, Licensed Minister
- Wesleyan Chapel Erected 1850 Attendance - morning 16, afternoon 14 Henry Crook, Local Preacher, Mellon Sq, Commercial St, Newport
- Ebenezer Baptist Chapel Erected 1838 Attendance - morning 123, evening 210 William Morgan, Secretary
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in
The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
|Aber-big / Aberbeeg (listed with Llanhiledd / Llanhilleth) - records with the Gwent RO
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
(Last updated - Gareth Hicks - 2 Dec 2012)
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.