Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llanfarthin / Llanmartin
"LLANMARTIN, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Caldicott, county Monmouth, 5 miles E. of Newport, its post town and railway station, and 10 from Chepstow. It includes the hamlet of Llandevand. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Llandaff, value with that of Wilerick annexed, £250. The church is dedicated to St. Martin. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. The parish is entitled to send two pensioners to the almshouses at Chepstow."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanmartin, with Llandevaud, Parish; Statistics; Area 941 acres; Population 108 males, 93 females, total 201
- Llandevaud An ancient chapelry rebuilt 1846 Attendance (average) afternoon 50 1 service in English B Samuel, Registrar (This chapel is in ruins and the inhabitants attend Llanmartin Church - Lewis 1848) (?)
- Llanmartin Parish Church Attendance - evening 14 "Llanmartin is served alternately with Wilrick morning and evening" 1 service in English John Callowhill, Minister
- Bethel Chapel, Cal.Meth. Erected 1838 Attendance - morning 50 + 20 scholars, evening 120 B Samuel, Deacon, Bishton Castle
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Llanfarthin / Llanmartin which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST394894 (Lat/Lon: 51.600120, -2.876369), Llanfarthin / Llanmartin which are provided by: