Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
LLANMARTIN, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"LLANMARTIN, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Caldicott, county Monmouth, 5 miles E. of Newport, its post town and railway station, and 10 from Chepstow. It includes the hamlet of Llandevand. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Llandaff, value with that of Wilerick annexed, £250. The church is dedicated to St. Martin. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. The parish is entitled to send two pensioners to the almshouses at Chepstow."
"LLANDEVAND, a hamlet in the parish of Llanmartin, county Monmouth, 6 miles S.E. of Usk. Here are some ruins of an old church."
"PENCOED, an ancient castle in the parish of Llanmartin, in Went Wood, county Monmouth, 4 miles S.E. of Caerleon, now in ruins."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]