We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llanofer / Llanover

"LLANOVER, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Abergavenny, county Monmouth, 4 miles S.E. of Abergavenny, its post town, and 7 from Pontypool. It is situated on the river Usk, near the Brecon canal. The parish includes the township of Blaenavon, where there are iron-works. The village is very considerable. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £300, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)


  • Bannon, Louis. Remember Abergaveny : including the villages of Crickhowell, Gilwern, Govilon, Llanellen, Llanfoist and Llanover. Abertillery : Old Bakehouse Publications, 1995. 128p.
  • Barber, Chris. Exploring Blaenavon industrial landscape world heritage site. Llanfoist : Blorenge Books, 2002. 220p.
  • Bowen, Roger. Blaenavon in old picture postcards : a selection of photographs from a collection compiled by Alan Parry and Francis Keen. Zaltbommel, Netherlands : European Library, 1986. 76p.
  • Browning, Lewis. Blaenavon, Monmouthshire a brief historical sketch . Cowbridge : D. Brown & Sons, 1989. Facsimile reprint of 1st edition, Minerva Press, Abergavenny, 1906.
  • Cornwell, John. Enter the world of Big Pit, Blaenavon, South Wales. Cowbridge : D. Brown & Sons, 1985. 24p.
  • Davies, Edward J. A short history of Blaenavon. ? 31p.
  • Evans, J A H.          Big Pit, Blaenavon : a new chronology?        Gwent Local History vol 88 2000    Welsh Journals Online   
  • Evans, J A H          The evolution of Blaenavon town         Gwent Local History. No. 94 2003   Welsh Journals Online
  • Evans, J A H            The witness and testimony of ordinary people in the vicinity of Blaenavon between 1810 and 1816 through the journals and correspondence of Walter Osland       Gwent Local History vol 81 1996    Welsh Journals Online
  • Evans, R. The Daniel family of Blaenavon . Gwent Family History Society Journal. No. 69 (Mar. 2003), p. 15.
  • Forder, Helen      The Llanofer connection           Gwent Local History vol 84 1998    Welsh Journals Online
  • Forder, Helen           More Llanofer connections: in celebration of the 200th anniversity of the birth of a remarkable woman         Gwent Local History. No. 92 2002   Welsh Journals Online
  • Harris, John G. Hanover Chapel : celebrating 350 years of worship at Llanover : Hanover United Reformed Church, Llanover 1644-1994. Llanover : Hanover United Reformed Church, 1994. 8p.
  • Hughes, Herbert            A history of Hanover Chapel, Llanover: including a brief history of Robert Jermain Thomas, the Korean Missionary          Gwent Local History. No. 97 2004   Welsh Journals Online
  • Knight, Jeremy K. Blaenavon Ironworks. Cardiff : Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments, 1992. 36p.
  • Knight, Jeremy K. Brought forth in a high place : religion, society and language in 19th century Blaenavon. Monmouthshire Antiquary 16 (2000), p. 121-30.
  • Lewis, John. Blaenavon through the years in photographs. Abertillery : Old Bakehouse, 1987. 158p.
  • Matthews, Daniel James & John Evans       The miners' bravery will count at judgement day: an eyewitness account of the Milfraen pit explosion        Gwent Local History. No. 93 2002   Welsh Journals Online
  • Thomas, Malcolm. Blaenavon through the years in photographs. Abertillery : Old Bakehouse, 1993. 160p.
  • Walker, Lesley.             Your fair and sunny land ...' : an emigrant family from Blaenavon.           Gwent Local History 82 1997     Welsh Journals Online

Church History

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Peter's Church, Blaenafon

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Bartholomew's Church, Llanover

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.  Check with  Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.

Llanover Parish - Lower Division; Statistics; Area 1877 acres; Population 175 males, 167 females, total 342

Llanover Parish, Upper Division; Statistics; Area 2865 acres; Population 1342 males, 1258 females, total 2600

  • Lower Division
  • Llanover Parish Church    Attendance (Average) - morning 130, afternoon 80 scholars, evening 220         2 services, 1 in Welsh      John Evans, Vicar
  • Hanover Chapel, Independents/Congregationalists     Erected 1839      Attendance - morning 119, afternoon 164    "The first Hanover Chapel was erected in the year 1744 and is now converted into a dwelling house"   Robert Thomas, Minister
  • Upper Division
  • Capel Newydd, Donative      Attendance (Average) - afternoon 30     "The church is only served during the summer months, the situation being too stormy for winter service. The church is but of little use since the building of Blaenafon Church "        1 service in Welsh from Easter to Michaelmas       John Jones, Perpetual curate
  • Blaenafon Chapel of Ease      Attendance - morning 131 + 189 scholars, evening 269     2 services in English   "Consecrated 1805...... for the accommodation of the workmen of the Blaenafon Iron and Coal Company..... erected at the sole expense of Messrs Thomas Hill and Samuel Hopkins, Proprietors of the Blaenafon Company, total cost probably about £3000"       John Jones, Perpetual curate, Blaenafon Parsonage
  • Ebenezer Baptist (Blaenavon Iron Works)    Erected 1825      Attendance - morning 156, afternoon 90 scholars, evening 350      Owen Michael, Minister
  • Bethlehem Chapel, Blaenavon, Independents      Erected - present chapel built in 1840. the old one in 1820       Attendance - morning 177, afternoon 135 scholars, evening 214      "The present chapel was built in lieu of the old but not on the site of then old, nor in the same parish. The old was in the parish of Trevethin, the present in the parish of Llanover. ......"     Thomas Griffiths, Minister
  • Penuel Chapel, Welch Calvinistic Methodist    Erected 1819      Attendance - morning 155, afternoon 137 scholars, evening 211        " ........ the first chapel that we had was erected in the year 1799 which was known by the name of Rock Chapel, and Sunday School was established about the year 1804........Rock Chapel was situated in the Parish of Lanwenarth."   David Jones, Deacon, Coal miner
  • Blaenavon Chapel, Primitive Methodist   Erected  1829     Attendance - morning 90 + 100 scholars, afternoon 140 scholars, evening 230    William Harvey, Minister, Low-Hill, Pontypool
  • English Baptist Chapel, Blaenavon     Erected  1847     Attendance - 101 + 70 scholars, afternoon 174 scholars, evening 200     "The Chapel is called the English Baptist Chapel because therev is no other English Baptist Chapel in the place."    Griffith Havard, Minister
  • Horeb Chapel, Blaenavon, Baptist   Erected 1807    Attendance - morning 230 + 30 scholars, evening 300 + 40 scholars    "The expression 'Sunday Scholars' is understood to refer to thosde who attend Divine Service and not to the entire number of scholars. If it refers to the number attending the School it should be Morning 100 and afternoon 133. There were a great many of the members unable to attend on the 30th March on account of prevailing illness."    Daniel Morgan, Minister

Church Records

See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records

  • This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
    Llanofer / Llanover, St Bartholomew's Church - records with the NLW
    Baptisms Marriages Banns Burials
    1708-1973 1708-1837 1823-94 1708-1930
    Bishops Transcripts 1696-7, 1725-34, 1737-8, 1741-1865, 1869-70, 1906 - records with the NLW
    (see also Blaenafon/Blaenavon)
    Blaenafon / Blaenavon, St Peter's Church (formed from Llanofer/Llanover + Llan-ffwyst/Llanfoist + Llanwenarth + Abersychan 1860) - records with the Gwent RO
    Baptisms Marriages Banns Burials
    1804-1950 1805-1971 1805-40 1805-74, 1885-1936
    Bishops Transcripts 1806-42, 1847-51 - records with the NLW
    [Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llanofer / Llanover which are provided by:


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanofer / Llanover has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


  • World War 1 & 2 & Korea & Northern Ireland  - Roll of Honour - Blaenavon


  • Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.  Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO311080 (Lat/Lon: 51.766379, -2.999865), Llanofer / Llanover which are provided by: