Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANTHEWY-RYTHERCH, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Abergavenny, county Monmouth, 3 miles S.E. of Abergavenny, its post town. A tributary of the river Trothy passes through it. The tithes were commuted in 1840. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £215, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. David. The charities amount to about £2 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanthewy-Rhytherch Parish; Statistics; Area 2187acres; Population 208 males, 194 females, total 402
- Llanthewy Rhytherch Parish Church Attendance - morning 40/50 + 20/25 scholars, afternoon 80/100 1 service in English Rees Jones, Licensed Curate
- Llanthewy Chapel, Particular Baptist Erected 1826 Attendance - morning 80, afternoon 35 scholars, evening 200 Thomas Lewis, Minister
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Llanddewi Rhydderch, St David's Church - records with the Gwent RO
||1695-1730, 1736-1810, 1813-1970
||1725-32, 1735-1817, 1819-58, 1864-74, 1876-7 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Llanddewi Rhydderch which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO349129 (Lat/Lon: 51.810885, -2.945728), Llanddewi Rhydderch which are provided by: