Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llanddewi Ysgyryd / Llanddewi Skirrid
"LLANTHEWY-SKIRRID, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Abergavenny, county Monmouth, 3 miles N.E. Abergavenny, its post town. It is situated at the foot of the hill Skirrid Fawr. The village consists of a few farmhouses. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff, value £187, The church is dedicated to St. David."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Methodist Chapel, Llanddewi Ysgryd,, Methodist Chapel, Llanddewi Ysgryd,, Llanddewi Ysgryd, Other
- St David's Church, St David's Church, Llanddewi Skirrid, Other
- St Michael's Chapel, Skirrid Fawr, St Michael's Chapel, Skirrid Fawr, Skirrid Fawr, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Llanddewi Ysgyryd / Llanddewi Skirrid area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanthewy Skirrid Parish; Statistics; Area 1060 acres; Population 53 males, 48 females, total 101
- Llanthewy Skirrid Parish Church Attendance - morning 10, afternoon 10, evening 10 "The Church was rebuilt about the year 1813..." 1 service in English William Marston, Curate
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Llanddewi Ysgyryd / Llanddewi Skirrid, St David's Church - records with the NLW
|1550-1729 with gaps, 1813-1978
||1551-1729 with gaps, 1813-1971
||1549-1729 with gaps, 1813-1982
||1725-33, 1735-1847, 1852-6, 1858-78 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Llanddewi Ysgyryd / Llanddewi Skirrid which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO340170 (Lat/Lon: 51.847638, -2.959564), Llanddewi Ysgyryd / Llanddewi Skirrid which are provided by: