Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llandeilo Gresynni / Llantilio Crossenny
"LLANTILLIO-CROSSENNY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Skenfreth, county Monmouth, 7 miles N.W. of Monmouth, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Trothy. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, value Â£270, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Teilaw, is a spacious structure, in the decorated style of architecture, with lofty tower. Adjoining it is a large chapel, on the N. side of the presbytery. In the churchyard is an altar-tomb to the memory of Colonel Clifford's son."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Descriptive and historical account of White Castle : in the parish of Llantilio Crossenny, in the County of Monmouth. Cheltenham : Edward J. Burrow, 1904. 21p.
- Powell, Walter. The diary of Walter Powell of Llantilio Crossenny in the county of Monmouth, gentleman. Bristol : J. Wright & co., 1907. 48p.
- Registra antiqua de Llantilio Crossenny et Penrhos in comitatu Monumethensi 1577-1644. London : Hughes and Clarke, 1916. 46p.
- Ebenezer, Ebenezer, Tal-y-Coed, Other
- Llandeilo Gresynni Primitive Methodist Chapel, Llandeilo Gre, Llandeilo Gresynni Primitive Methodist Chapel, Lla, Llandeilo Gresynni, Other
- Llanfair Chapel, Llanfair-Green, Llanfair Chapel, Llanfair-Green, Llanfair-Green, Other
- St Teilo's Church, Llantilio Crossenny, St Teilo's Church, Llantilio Crossenny, Llantilio Crossenny, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Llandeilo Gresynni / Llantilio Crossenny area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llantillio-Crossenny Parish; Statistics; Area 5951 acres; Population 44 males, 34 females, total 78
- Llantilio Crossenny Parish Church Attendance - morning 80 +30 scholars 1 service in English David Davies, Minister
- Llanfair Chapel, Church of England Consecrated 1850 - an additional church in the Upper division of Llantilio Attendance - afternoon 50 1 service in English David Davies, Vicar of Llantilio, Crossenny
- Rose Cottage Chapel, Primitive Methodist Erected 1842 Attendance - morning 45, evening 70 James Jones, Minister
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Llandeilo Gresynni / Llantilio Crossenny, St Teilo's Church - records with the Gwent RO
||1696, 1725-84, 1787-1836, 1838-40, 1842-50, 1852-5, 1857, 1859, 1861-2, 1865, 1867, 1869, 1871, 1887-8 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Llandeilo Gresynni / Llantilio Crossenny which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llandeilo Gresynni / Llantilio Crossenny has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO398149 (Lat/Lon: 51.829415, -2.875008), Llandeilo Gresynni / Llantilio Crossenny which are provided by: