Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
LLANTILLIO-CROSSENNY, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer
"LLANTILLIO-CROSSENNY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Skenfreth, county Monmouth, 7 miles N.W. of Monmouth, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Trothy. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £270, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Teilaw, is a spacious structure, in the decorated style of architecture, with lofty tower. Adjoining it is a large chapel, on the N. side of the presbytery. In the churchyard is an altar-tomb to the memory of Colonel Clifford's son.
Here is a free grammar school, founded by Mr. Powell, and endowed with property producing £150 per annum. The other charities amount to about £40. Llantillio House is the principal residence. There are extensive remains of an ancient castle, standing on an eminence, 1½ mile to the N. of White Castle. It appears to have been a large oval building, with six bastions lighted from the inner court, but having no keep. It is said to have been the stronghold of Sir Gwyn ap Cwarthvold, at the time of the Norman invasion, and was still a renowned place in Queen Elizabeth's reign."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]