GENUKI Home page
Llantillio Crossenny Llantillio Crossenny     Contents & Site Map Contents &
Site Map
    Where is it In Monmouthshire Where is it
In Monmouthshire


LLANTILLIO-CROSSENNY, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LLANTILLIO-CROSSENNY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Skenfreth, county Monmouth, 7 miles N.W. of Monmouth, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Trothy. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, value 270, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Teilaw, is a spacious structure, in the decorated style of architecture, with lofty tower. Adjoining it is a large chapel, on the N. side of the presbytery. In the churchyard is an altar-tomb to the memory of Colonel Clifford's son.

Here is a free grammar school, founded by Mr. Powell, and endowed with property producing 150 per annum. The other charities amount to about 40. Llantillio House is the principal residence. There are extensive remains of an ancient castle, standing on an eminence, 1 mile to the N. of White Castle. It appears to have been a large oval building, with six bastions lighted from the inner court, but having no keep. It is said to have been the stronghold of Sir Gwyn ap Cwarthvold, at the time of the Norman invasion, and was still a renowned place in Queen Elizabeth's reign."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]


(Last updated - Gareth Hicks  - 17 Feb 2009)

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.