"LLANTILLIO-PERTHOLEY, (or Bertholey) a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Abergavenny, county Monmouth, 1½ mile N.E. of Abergavenny, its post town and railway station on the West Midland line of railway. A tributary of the river Usk flows through it. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £242, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is dedicated to St. Teilaw or St. Theilau. The endowments produce nearly £35 per annum." [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales.Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llantillio Pertholey Parish consisting of Citra Division and Ultra Division; Statistics; Area 6859 acres; Population 436 males, 412 females, total 848
Llantillio Pertholey Parish Church Attendance - afternoon 110 + 34 scholars "Not an average congregation" 1 service in English Thomas Morgan, Curate
Salem Chapel, Cal. Meth. Erected 1816 Attendance - morning 40 scholars, afternoon 70, evening 80 John Jones, Minister, Forest Chapel
Bettws Chapel Licensed for public worship... in 1829 as a chapel of ease to the Parish Church..... erected partly by Parliamentary grant and partly by Private Subscription Attendance - morning 42 "By no means an average number...." 1 service in English Thomas Morgan, Curate
Family Search have an interactive map called "England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851" showing parish (and other) boundaries with optional background maps such as Ordnance Survey. There is also a Search facility, do read the guidance notes to get maximum benefit from this useful resource. See here for further background information to assist in the interpretation of this data
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO311163 (Lat/Lon: 51.841034, -3.001482), Llandeilo Bertholau / Llantilio Pertholey which are provided by: