Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llandeilo Bertholau / Llantilio Pertholey
"LLANTILLIO-PERTHOLEY, (or Bertholey) a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Abergavenny, county Monmouth, 1½ mile N.E. of Abergavenny, its post town and railway station on the West Midland line of railway. A tributary of the river Usk flows through it. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £242, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is dedicated to St. Teilaw or St. Theilau. The endowments produce nearly £35 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- St Bartholomew, Bertholey, St Bartholomew, Bertholey, Bertholey, Other
- St Teilo's Church, Llantilio Pertholey, St Teilo's Church, Llantilio Pertholey, Llantilio Pertholey, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Llandeilo Bertholau / Llantilio Pertholey area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llantillio Pertholey Parish consisting of Citra Division and Ultra Division; Statistics; Area 6859 acres; Population 436 males, 412 females, total 848
- Citra Division
- Llantillio Pertholey Parish Church Attendance - afternoon 110 + 34 scholars "Not an average congregation" 1 service in English Thomas Morgan, Curate
- Salem Chapel, Cal. Meth. Erected 1816 Attendance - morning 40 scholars, afternoon 70, evening 80 John Jones, Minister, Forest Chapel
- Ultra Division
- Bettws Chapel Licensed for public worship... in 1829 as a chapel of ease to the Parish Church..... erected partly by Parliamentary grant and partly by Private Subscription Attendance - morning 42 "By no means an average number...." 1 service in English Thomas Morgan, Curate
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Llandeilo Bertholau / Llantilio Pertholey which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llandeilo Bertholau / Llantilio Pertholey has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO311163 (Lat/Lon: 51.840994, -3.001517), Llandeilo Bertholau / Llantilio Pertholey which are provided by: