Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llantrisaint Fawr / Llantrissent
"LLANTRISAINT, (or Llantrissent), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Usk, county Monmouth, 2 miles S.E. of Usk, its post town, 4 N.E. of Caerleon, and 9 from Chepstow. The village is a small place. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, value with that of Pertholey annexed, £180. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Younson, Francis. A Llantrissent 'curse' against Bishops and Priests, 1680. Gwent Local History 81 (1996), p. 56-7.
- Pen-Y-Well ((Disused)), Golden Hill,, Pen-Y-Well ((Disused)), Golden Hill,, Golden Hill, Other
- Penycaemawr, Pen-Y-Cae-Mawr,, Penycaemawr, Pen-Y-Cae-Mawr,, Pen-Y-Cae-Mawr, Other
- Saints Peter, Paul And John's Church, Llantrisant Fawr, Saints Peter, Paul And John's Church, Llantrisant , Llantrisant Fawr, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Llantrisaint Fawr / Llantrissent area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llantrissent Parish: Statistics; Area 2762 acres; Population 157 males, 117 females, total 274
- Llantrissent Parish Church Attendance - afternoon 30 + 15 scholars 2 services in English Arthur Williams, Curate
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
You can see pictures of Llantrisaint Fawr / Llantrissent which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST391969 (Lat/Lon: 51.667516, -2.882007), Llantrisaint Fawr / Llantrissent which are provided by: