We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llanfaches / Llanvaches
"LLANVACHES, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Caldicott, county Monmouth, 6 miles S.W. of Chepstow, and 6 N.E. of Newport, its post town. There was formerly a castle here. The village consists of a few farmhouses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff, value £194. The church is dedicated to St. Dubritius. The charities amount to about £10 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Morgan, Shem H. A history of Tabernacle United Reformed Church, Llanvaches : 1639-1989. [Llanvaches] : Tabernacle United Reformed Church, 1989. 47p.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanvaches Parish; Statistics; Area 2108 acres; Population 161 males, 130 females, total 291
- Llanvaches Parish Church Attendance (average) - morning 45, afternoon 33 (alternating) 1 service in English Edward (Griffiths), Licensed Curate
- Tabernacle Independent Church Erected 1800 [? but see Bibliography entry above] Attendance - morning 45, evening 51 David Thomas, Minister, Llanvaches
- Bethany Baptist Chapel Erected 1814 Attendance - morning 58 Thomas Leonard, Baptist Minister
- Gilgal Chapel, Llanvaches, Bible Christian Erected 1828 Attendance - afternoon 38 David (?), His Mark, Steward
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary] selected parish records.
You can see pictures of Llanfaches / Llanvaches which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanfaches / Llanvaches has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST434917 (Lat/Lon: 51.621215, -2.818995), Llanfaches / Llanvaches which are provided by: