Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llanfair Isgoed / Llanfair Disgoed
"LLANVAIR-DISCOED, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Caldicott, county Monmouth, 5 miles S.W. of Chepstow, its post town. It is situated near the forest of Wentwood, and on the road to Usk. The parish includes the hamlet of Dinham, and the remains of Dinham Castle, now a ruin overgrown with wood. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Caerwent, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Morgan, Charles. Notes on the ecclesiastical remains at Runston, Sudbrook, Dinham and Llan-bedr. Newport : printed for the Monmouthshire and Caerleon Antiquarian Association by Henry Mullock, 1858. 33p.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanvair Discoed Parish consisting of Llanvair Discoed and the hamlet of Dinham; Statistics; Area 1986 acres; Population 103 males, 88 females, total 191
- Llanvair Discoed Parish Church Attendance - morning 32 1 service in English Edward Griffiths, Licensed Curate
- Dinham Hamlet (Ancient parish now considered only a hamlet..... there is no trace of the church - Lewis 1848)
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary] selected parish records.
Llanfair Isgoed / Llanfair Disgoed, St Mary's Church - records with the incumbent (Gwent RO survey 1970)
|Baptisms & Burials
||1725-1878, 1880-1 - records with the NLW
You can see pictures of Llanfair Isgoed / Llanfair Disgoed which are provided by:
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST446924 (Lat/Lon: 51.627628, -2.801774), Llanfair Isgoed / Llanfair Disgoed which are provided by: