We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
LLANVAIR-DISCOED, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"LLANVAIR-DISCOED, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Caldicott, county Monmouth, 5 miles S.W. of Chepstow, its post town. It is situated near the forest of Wentwood, and on the road to Usk. The parish includes the hamlet of Dinham, and the remains of Dinham Castle, now a ruin overgrown with wood. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Caerwent, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.
Here are extensive remains of Llanvair Castle, built in the 13th century, and consisting of a square and two round towers, blended with a farmhouse. Coins, urns, and other Roman remains have been found."
"DINHAM, a hamlet in the parish of Llanvair-Discoed, upper division of the hundred of Caldicott, in the county of Monmouth, 3½ miles S.W. of Chepstow."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]